chapter eleven

The jungle

The jungle

  AMARA, BASIL, AND CREED RAN AS FAST AS THEIR LEGS COULD TAKE THEM. Only one Career had died since the games started meaning, it would be a whopping five to three if they were going to come head to head with the group. Amara had always considered the Careers bullies every year, because they were.

"Over here, this is where I set up camp." Basil whisper yelled, pointing towards a hollowed out large tree that they all ran into.

How was it possible he found this? They didn't know.

"A sponsor sent me a tip when things were looking bad for me yesterday." The Covyn boy breathed out heavily. "They set this all up for me, us actually."

He was staring straight at Amara, who's heart was beating against her chest harshly.

"Would have been helpful if someone sent me a tip." The girl replied dryly, holding a hand over her heart. "What did you do to the Careers anyways?"

"Nessie came after me so I stabbed her and ran away, then the next thing I know, her name was up in the lights and they are after me." Basil looked solemnly to the ground. "I didn't mean to do it, I wouldn't—... i'd never.."

"We all had to defend ourselves, man. We aren't judging you, I promise." Creed ensured, tapping the boys shoulder lightly. "But I also know that we can't stay in here forever, we don't have a lot of water left."

"Water? You guys had water? I'm on the verge of passing out." The Covyn boy admitted, wiping beads of sweat away from his face.

Amara took it out of their bag, handing the boy the small canister the water was in.

"Here, you need it." She spoke, giving him a reassuring smile as he hesitated to drink.

"Okay." Basil opened up the canister, tilting it back as he finally got a fresh taste of water. After going from being treated like a king to not having water for almost forty eight hours? This was the absolute best feeling in the world.

"We have to go back out and find the water once the coast is clear." Creed said, looking between both of his friends. "Or maybe only one of us should go."

"Are you insane? We can't split up now, not with the Careers out there hunting us." Amara shook her head lightly. "No, it's not happening."

"So we all go." Basil spoke, gasping lightly after he finished up the water that remained. "It's settled."

"Good thing Shine kindly gave us some weapons." Amaranth said with a grin.