Midnight Date

Cinder and Kai explore beauty of New Beijing at night.

No one knew New Beijing Palace better than Kai. After all, he grew up among those walls and lived there for whole 21 years of his life.

But, despite being the emperor, Kai didn't know his city too well. Almost every time he would go to the city center he would be surrounded with people- his security team and all the people that came to greet their emperor.

It was nice and Kai loved being in the city with general population. But he couldn't help feeling that he never fully experienced New Beijing. Not in a way common citizens did, or tourists that came to admire culture and architecture of Eastern Commonwealth's capital city. He never knew all the hidden getaways, all the places people would meet, where they served best noodles in the city...

Luckily, there was a visitor in New Beijing Palace that knew all these information.

Cinder arrived in the palace two days ago to discuss with Kai how to further develop relationship between Earth and Luna. Of course, this was only the official reason for her visit. The non-official reason was that they hadn't seen each other in four months and they just wanted to spend some time together.

They did some work as well, mostly when they had meetings with other cabinet members. When they were alone it was more kissing, less working.

Kai was quiet while he sneaked in the hallways of his own home towards the room where Cinder slept. He knocked on the door as quietly as possible as he approached them. They flew open in a second.

Cinder stood in front of him still dressed in her daily outfit even though it was almost midnight. She squinted at him. „Kai? What are you doing here this late?"

Kai ushered her inside and entered the room after her. „I'm taking you on a date."

Cinder lifted an eyebrow and looked him up and down. He was wearing a simple black hoodie and a dark pair of jeans. „I'm guessing we're going incognito?"

„Exactly," Kai said and leaned down to kiss her lips. „Which is why you need to change into something more subtle and comfortable."

„You don't have to tell me twice." Cinder shrugged and went to the grand walk-in closet to change.

Kai lay down on her bed, resting his head on Cinder's pillows. He felt soft scent of her vanilla shampoo and couldn't help but smile. The room she stayed in was beautiful, like all the rooms in the palace. But Kai knew Cinder didn't like too much fuss around her, so he always made sure her room was one of the simple ones- without extravagant decorations, priceless antiques or anything else that would make it feel less like a home.

Because Kai wanted her to feel like this was her home.

Minutes later Cinder walked out dressed in similar clothes as Kai, except her hoodie was light grey. „How exactly do you plan avoiding your security team to follow us once they realized we left the palace?"

„Easy," Kai said and got up from her comfortable bed. „They won't know we left the palace because we'll use the staff exit."

„And if they track your ID number?"

Kai waved his hand. „It's midnight, they think I'm already asleep."

Cinder wasn't entirely convinced in his reasoning but decided to go with it. „All right then, Your Majesty. Take me to that date already."

-

Sneaking out of the palace wasn't as difficult as Kai thought it would be. I even made him question his security system for a second. He grabbed Cinder's hand as he led her through the back garden of the palace. They reached the gate that palace staff usually used in the morning when they come to palace for work. Kai waved his left hand that had his ID chip in front a machine and the doors quietly opened. The two of them lifted their hoods and left the palace ground.