Wings

Written for TLC ship weeks 2021

Cinder felt a soft brush-like touch on her back, like tender fingers caressing her bare skin. She stirred under the covers, half awake, and turned toward another warm body in bed.

Kai was lying on his side, one hand tucked under his head, other resting on her back. His hair was as messy as ever, his eyes barely staying open. Rising sun that peeked through the window behind him made it hard to see his features clearly. But the smile that adorned his lips was the same one she woke up to every day for the past six months.

"Good morning," he whispered, almost too quietly for her to hear. He always spoke gently in the morning, as if afraid he would break the fantasy that they have an entire day to roll around in their bed, eat sweets and watch net dramas. Pretending the world outside didn't exist.

She placed her head on his chest, his skin warm and inviting, and listened to the slow beat of his heart. Her eyes were closed, her mind empty, when she felt another soft touch on her back, this time in the form of a long straight line.

"What are you doing?" she mumbled in his chest.

Kai pulled another long line with his finger. "I'm drawing wings on your back."

Cinder tried to lift her head to look at him in bewilderment, but he gently laid her head back down.

"Careful, you're ruining my artwork," he said and she could hear a smile on his lips.

"Why are you drawing wings on me?"

Kai continued caressing her back and Cinder had to admit that it was delightfully relaxing. "Because you're an angel and angels need to have wings for when they fall from the sky."

She was stupefied for a second, letting his words sink in. Then she let out a loud chuckle, muffled by his chest. "That is the cheesiest thing you have ever said, and the competition is high."

Kai's chest moved as he laughed as well. "I can be cheesier than that."

She looked up at him. "Oh, really? I'd like to see you try."

Kai wrapped his arms fully around her, apparently done with his artwork on her back. He cleared his throat and said with his serious emperor voice, "My life without you is like a broken pencil... pointless."

Cinder pressed her hand to her mouth to stop the laughter. She didn't want to give him encouragement for being such a dork, but she couldn't deny that he was adorable right now.

"You spend so much time in my mind, I should charge you rent." Kai had a hard time trying to keep a serious face. He knew he was being ridiculous, but for a dazzling smile that was now on Cinder's face, he was willing to make a fool of himself.

"I wish I were cross-eyed so I can see you twice."

Their composure broke in the same moment and the sound of laughter filled their spacious bedroom. Kai hugged Cinder's shoulders as they laughed, pressing his face in her hair.

After a minute, Cinder finally stopped laughing and looked at her husband. His eyes were shining with tears and he looked at her like he really thought she was an angel.

"You're such a dork," she teased him and lifted her head a little bit to kiss his lips.

When they broke the kiss, Kai said, "You always knew that, but you married me anyways."

"Heaven knows what I was thinking, no pun intended," she said, but her voice had no vicious undertone.

Kai smiled and leaned down to kiss her again, with so much love and adoration and gentleness, it made her feel like she was flying, wings securely attached to her back.