Late Night Doubts

Just a random Kaider fluff, cuz you can never have too much of those. For the purpose of this fic, I ignored the proposal that happened in Stars Above. Cinder and Kai are just dating, not engaged.

Cinder sneaked into emperor's room as quietly as possible. Kai was sleeping safely tucked in his sheets, breathing deeply. He must have had an exhausting day. Cinder knew what kind of a day he had simply by hearing his breathing pattern.

She took off her shoes and made her way to the bathroom. She just got back to New Beijing after three weeks spent on Luna. Lunars were choosing new government, and as former queen, her attendance was expected.

After a quick shower she came back to the room to find something to sleep in. She found Kai's old shirt and put it on. It had that sweet musky scent like it's been worn all day, but still managed to stay fresh. While she quietly changed, Kai stirred in bed. He blinked slowly, his eyes widening when he saw a person in the dark of his room. It took him two seconds to recognize her.

He reached up and grabbed Cinder's wrist, pulling her to the bed next to him. "Hey," he said, his voice scratchy from sleep, and kissed her temple.

Cinder nuzzled her nose in his neck, inhaling deeply. "Sorry I woke you up."

"I'm not," he said, grabbing her face in his hands and kissing her on the lips. "Did you just come back?"

Cinder nodded, shifting deeper into the covers and wrapping her arms around his waist. She felt completely in peace for the first time in weeks.

This, she thought as she cuddled with her boyfriend, this is what I want.

"It's been a long three weeks," she said into his neck.

"Actually, it's been twenty three days and eight hours," Kai corrected, tangling his fingers in her hair.

Cinder scoffed. "You hadn't counted the minutes."

Kai laughed and his chest vibrated with movement. "Sadly, I don't have a computer in my head telling me how long exactly it's been since I've seen the love of my life. It would make my lonely nights much more bearable."

Cinder tried not to grin. She lifted her face from his chest and kissed him, long and soft. When they both ran out of breath, she pulled away. She traced his lips with her metal finger, imagining she could feel the softness with her fingertips. "I missed you."

Kai gently stroked her face with his knuckles. "I'm pretty sure I missed you more. Just ask Torin. He'll gladly inform you what a miserable and distracted leader I've been in your absence."

She rolled her eyes, not surprised at all. "If only your people knew what a sap their emperor is."

Kai shifted on his back and pulled Cinder on top of him. "I'm pretty sure they all suspect. After all, I've always been told I don't know how to conceal my feelings."

They fell in comfortable silence, listening each other breathe. Despite the calmness she felt, Cinder couldn't stop invading thoughts that always appear when she was in emperor's suite.

Kai felt the tension in her shoulders as he drew lazy circles on her back. "Something's bothering you. Tell me."

She hesitated for a second, but Kai's touch worked like magic and she started talking, pressing her face deeper in his chest. "This is emperor's suite."

Kai stayed silent for a second, not sure how to react to such a basic fact. "As an emperor, I am well aware."

Every time they would come close to this topic, Kai basically mocked her for being ridiculous. He could never understand why she was so bothered by staying in his room. She lifted her head and moved to a more comfortable position. She was careful not to put whole weight of her metal leg on Kai as she lay on top of him. When she looked down, his face was nothing short of serious.