Heart Attack

Written for TLC ship week 2020. 

Kai watched with horror the scene on the screen. He gripped the arm rests of the chair he was sitting in. He had to occupy himself with other things to stop digging his fingernails in his palms.

On the screen, Cinder kept a calm face and polite smile as people crowded her. Everyone wanted to say a few words or touch empress of Eastern Commonwealth. She was foolish enough to go out without the guards and now she had no escape plan. She knew Kai must be furious.

And he was. He stood from the chair and started pacing in the sitting area of his office. Torin was still seated on the couch, a glass of some beverage Kai didn't recognize gripped in his hand.

"How could she be so foolish?" Kai mumbled loud enough for Torin to hear. "She knows that hoodie is not a good enough disguise. Her metal hand is too recognizable even if people don't see her face."

Torin took a sip of his drink. "Your Majesty, Her Majesty has proved many times before she knows how to take care of herself. Besides, royal guards will get to her soon and bring her to the safety of the palace."

"They better be quick," Kai said and ran hands through his hair. "I can't watch this. There are all sorts of maniacs out there who can't wait for something to happen."

It was one of his biggest fears ever since they got married two years ago. He knew people loved Cinder—that much was obvious judging by the crowd that currently surrounded her. But he also knew that there was a small minority of people who wished to see either one of them hurt. No real problems have ever happened, but only because they were always extra careful.

Now Cinder had decided it was a smart idea to waltz around the market in the middle of the day like a commoner, hoping to go unnoticed.

He glanced towards the screen just in time to see video of a little girl hugging Cinder. His heart skipped a beat, calming his raging pulse. He just needed to wait a little bit more to have her back in the safety of his arms.

Almost half an hour later—and a significant amount of emperor's hair pulling and sighs—Cinder walked in his office with a smile on her face. She was still wearing a grey hoodie, the same one Kai was wearing the day they met in the market. She didn't seem a single bit worried about what just happened. Quite the opposite.

All of Kai's worries flew out of the window when he saw her unharmed. He rushed to her side, placing his hands on her cheeks and pulling her in for a kiss. He let all the stress and anger of the past hours melt into this one kiss. Cinder seemed confused, but kissed him back with the same force.

They pulled away only when Torin loudly cleared his throat. Kai was so engrossed in Cinder he completely forgot Torin was there. It wasn't the first time that had happened.

Cinder smiled, her eyes shining as she fixed her hair that Kai somehow managed to ruin.

"I had so much fun at the market today. We should go together next week, Kai. People there are so nice once they abandon their prejudice. There was this older man that made me the best bubble tea I ever had. He refused to charge me for it. Now I understand how it was for you when I didn't want to charge you for fixing Nainsi. And I met the sweetest girl ever. She works with her mom in one of the booths. And she's also a cyborg. Can you believe that? They did crack my disguise a bit early. Maybe next time I should try to hide my identity better." She noticed a look on Kai's face. "What?"

Kai tried to remember a lesson from years ago on how to keep your facial expression and voice under control. "Next time? Next time, Cinder? You can't be serious."

Cinder shrugged and unfastened the zipper of the hoodie. "It's fun to go outside of the palace every so often."

"There is nothing fun about putting yourself in mortal danger. I almost had a heart attack, Cinder!"

Cinder gave him a warning look that made him feel smaller that a grain of salt. "I can take care of myself, Kai."

Torin crossed his legs and took another sip of his drink. "Told you, Your Majesty."

Kai cast an irritated glance towards him before looking back at Cinder. "I know you can, but it doesn't make me any less worried. There are all sorts of people there, Cinder. And you know I'm happier that anyone to see how much people love you, but please for my sake be more careful. The least you could do is to have a better disguise."

Cinder nodded and wrapped her arms around his waist, pressing their bodies together. "I'll be more careful next time, I promise."

Kai pressed his lips in a thin line and nodded. He wanted to make another argument, but Cinder's warmth on him was too distracting. He kissed her lips one more time, this time quick and chaste for the sake of their audience. A half grin appeared on his face.

"Best bubble tea you ever had, you say? I wouldn't mind trying it with you next time."