Incredible

Written for TLC ship weeks 2021.

Song: Incredible by James TW

In the grand ballroom of Commonwealth's palace, Emperor Kaito and Empress Selene were leading the first dance. Two young royals were dressed appropriately, emperor in red and black attire with gold details, and empress in a shimmering long black dress. Dimmed lights emphasized the intimacy of the moment, as everyone stood and watched from the sides.

Empress Selene, or rather Cinder, was a face of serenity only on the outside. She still had nervous tinges every time Kai and her were the center of attention. Which, given their rank, was all the time.

Kai ran a soothing hand down her back, a movement so casual nobody else probably noticed it. "This is our third time opening Peace ball and you still look like you might pass out."

Cinder tightened her hand on his shoulder and smiled, looking up at him. "Well, sorry that I'll never get used to everyone staring at us."

Kai laughed and kissed her forehead, which he probably shouldn't have done so publicly, judging by the few soft gasps from people around them. "You will eventually."

The song finally ended and the new one began. Other couples rushed to the dance floor, giving some much wanted privacy to the royal couple. Cinder didn't try to slip out of Kai's embrace as he led the rhythm to the new song.

Kai stared at her beautiful face, her fancy hairstyle, and small smile resting on her lips. He could barely stop himself from leaning down and kissing her.

"It's been a while since the last time I saw you smile," he said quietly, so no one could hear but her. "I know things have been a mess lately, and I feel it's been taking toll on you. On both of us."

Cinder's eyebrows furrowed as she raised her hand to move few fallen pieces of his hair back to its place. "What do you mean?"

Kai pulled her a little bit closer. "Do you ever feel like... sometimes life gets so crazy we can forget all the little things we did when we first met?"

"Like what?" she asked.

"Do you remember those notes I would write for you and send them through Thorne while you were still on Luna?"

Cinder laughed and leaned her head on his shoulder. "Those weren't notes, those were love letters. Or more like romance novels with how lengthy they were."

"I know you liked them, don't lie," Kai teased. "Or flowers. I feel like I haven't given you flowers in so long."

"You don't have to give me flowers," Cinder mumbled.

"But I want to because I know you love them, even though you pretend you don't."

Cinder pressed her face to his chest to muffle a laugh. They swayed to the slow beat of the song, not caring about others around them giving them curious looks.

When Cinder looked at him again, Kai was already staring down at her. His face was so honest and caring and Cinder didn't need words to know the extent of his feelings for her.

He tucked a loose strand of hair behind her ear. His copper eyes found hers. "I'm lost in your eyes. I wish we could stay like this forever."

"We can," Cinder said softly, wrapping her arms around his neck. "This crowded room doesn't matter. It's moments like this I never wanna let go."

Kai smiled and kissed her, forgetting about the people around them, about Torin who will probably scold him later, about reporters in the room. All he cared about was his wife, the one he was happy to find during the hardest time of his life.

When they broke the kiss, he whispered on her lips, "Just one more thing."

Cinder tangled her fingers in his hair. "Yes?"

"My love, I just wanna say that you look incredible tonight."