Journey of Us

Written for TLC ship weeks 2021

Cinder ran her fingers down Kai's cheek to get his attention. "What are you thinking about?"

Kai stirred from their position on the couch and looked down at her. They were lounging in his office, taking a much-needed break after a series of meetings.

He leaned down to kiss her forehead. "Just thinking about us and everything we've been through."

"Like what exactly?" Cinder pushed her face deeper into his chest.

"Do you remember how we met?" She could hear a hint of a smile in his voice. "I was so surprised you were a girl, a pretty girl at that, and I didn't even know how to act."

Cinder laughed. "You were a very awkward prince."

"It's your fault, though. You had me wrapped around your finger from day one. Even Torin noticed I was acting strange."

"I have no regrets," she said and pressed a kiss on his neck.

They stayed silent for a few minutes. Kai's hold on her became tighter and he entwined his fingers in her hair.

"There was a time when I thought I would never see you again," he said quietly. "World was literally falling apart, but I couldn't keep you off my mind. I had so many worries, yet every time I would lie down your face would be the one I see."

Cinder sneaked her hand under his shirt to touch his warm skin, to remind herself he was there, next to her and not miles away. "I thought about you a lot as well. Which was incredibly stupid of me."

Kai shook his head. "I don't think it was stupid. I think... even then, subconsciously I knew how much you mean to me. Even if I was scared to admit it."

"I thought you hated me," Cinder said, her voice breaking at mid-point. "For lying to you about being cyborg and Lunar."

"I could never hate you. I guess I was just sad you didn't trust me enough to tell me the truth, but I understand why you kept it a secret."

She didn't know what to say to that. They've gone through so much so early in their relationship. From heartbreak and betrayal and pain, to unexpected joy of reconnecting and finding their happiness.

"I think the happiest moment of my life was when I saw you walking down the aisle towards me," Kai said. "Till that moment, I couldn't believe something so beautiful could exist, yet there you were."

Cinder knew she would be blushing if she could. She gently elbowed him in the ribs. "I know that. The whole country knows that because you said it on the press conference after the wedding."

Kai laughed and leaned further into the couch, pulling Cinder with him. "I have no regrets," he mirrored her words from earlier.

He put his finger under her chin and pulled her head up so she would look at him. "We've been through a lot to get where we are, but I wouldn't change a thing. This journey of us is what brings us here, in this exact moment."

Cinder smiled and caressed his cheek. "I wouldn't change a thing either."

Kai leaned down to kiss her, placing his hand on her slightly rounded belly. It caused a fit of giggles to emerge from Cinder, like it always did whenever Kai would do that.

Soon there will be three of them, and they were fully ready to embark on a new journey together—their best one yet.