/one/

"mum?" the child whimpered while jogging to catch up with the woman who hadn't noticed her son falling behind

mrs. lee glanced back to the visibly panicked boy who desperately covered his left eye with his palm.

"mum!" he yelled as he finally caught up, instantly embracing the woman in a tight hug. "make them stop staring," he begged fearfully, his hands grasping onto the material of her shirt as she crouched down to his level.

"i can't control what they do, baby," she apologetically replied before rubbing comforting circles into the younger's back, her lips forming a pout. "but we'll be in korea this time next week." She pulled him back, wiping the tears that had begun to fall from his stunning eyes.

"i don't want this!" he pleaded, pointing to the purple iris with trembling hands. "i hate it."

"but it's so beautiful, mark," she reassured with a tight-lipped frown. "we can get you a contact lens to hide it if you really want to."

the downcast boy nodded wordlessly, his head lowered in shame as he avoided the judging or disgusted looks that the townspeople sent him.

"anything that will make me look normal," he whispered hoarsely, pulling his mum back in for a hug. it was all simply too much for the young child.

• • •

"everyone welcome mark lee to the class and to korea," the teacher, who had introduced herself as mrs. kim, announced to the class of eight-year-olds who each watched the foreign boy with curiosity. "he came all the way from canada to be with us, so don't make the move difficult."

she patted the younger's shoulder encouragingly, guiding him towards the only empty seat in the room which had obviously been set up for him.

"well, back to class. who remembers what i said this was?" she began, pointing towards the board with her marker. the elder occasionally glanced at mark to assure the boy wasn't out of his depth or confused.

"pssst." he furrowed his brow with confusion the sound came from behind. "pssst."

with curiosity getting the better of him, mark turned around in his chair, his eyes narrowing upon being met with a cute and smiley boy.

"i'm jaemin," he introduced, his hand outstretched to the new kid. "and you're my new friend."