Chapter 21: Henna day

HENNA DAY, SA LALLE.

"Arrghh! Who said wedding preparation is easy?, anyone that said that is a big lier. I Nawal Muhammad Khaleed said 'anybody that said wedding preparation is easy' is a big fat liar!."

Today is the henna day, so the bride and her friends will design their hands and legs in different styles.

They're now seven in the room; the bride, Nawal, Maryam and five of her cousins; Fatima, Khadija, Nayla and Najma, they're overly nice.

The bride's skin is literally, glowing. Because of the gyaran jiki and some weird things she had being drinking.

Some herbs which Mama, her mother told them that it's important for the bride to take those things whenever she is getting married.

Some of which are sweet while some are bitter, that's what the bride said her words not mine.

The waxing part is the painful one because the bride almost cried but after the woman was done, her skin was beautiful and as that of baby's own.

The house is flooded with guest and relatives from far and near, close ones and the distance ones all came along to witness this day, as Alhaji Ahmad is going to marry off his first daughter.

Some of which Nawal knew didn't came for the sake of Allah they just come to do gulma because she even heard Aisha saying that she forgot when last she saw some of her relatives but here they're today.

Mama, the brides mother makes sure that everything was organized well and that all her guests eat food.

Nawal doesn't know where to be in this wedding because her favorite people are getting married.

Oh ya Allah! On one hand is her friend, her best friend who is going to be her sister in-law, while on the other hand, is her best brother ever.

But then, she decided  to be from the bride's side.

Every time Nawal leave the room, some of the bride's aunt will tease her that 'Nawal you're the next' and just the thought of her being the bride makes a smile across her face.

Because she know that for sure Ammi will be proud and happy.

Ammi told her that during their time when a girl is going to get married,

Seven days before the marriage day, the bride's kinswomen catch her and rub her skin with henna; when they come to do this she runs away, and when they get her she cries and wails,

She throws herself to the ground again and again crying because the time for marriage has come...

Her friends lead the bride to her mother's sister's hut, she is hermawankiya, the 'mother' who will wash her for marriage.

She talks to the bride and lectures her about behaving properly...

The henna is brought from the compound of the bride's father and the grandmother comes again to put it on.

Outside mawankiya's hut, the girls are preparing the henna-leaves, and the drummers and singers are busy at the front of the compound.

When mawankiya leads the bride out from her hut, her friends seize her arms and legs and hold her while she struggles.

The girls begin to sing again, while the grandmother is putting on the bride's henna they sing this song:

' _Save my life, hankaka, save my life, Save my life, hankaka, save my life,
On the day of marriage;
Save my life, hankaka, save my life,
Bazara has come,
Hankaka with the white breast,
White-breasted one, marriage has come.'