Chapter 11: The Hat

Clarification: The rest of this story will be heavily based on the manga. So things might be confusing to you if you are an anime-only. Just telling you this so I don't get comments like "ThIs IsN't HoW iT hApPeNeD iN tHe AnImE." Anyway, have fun reading!

A group of five all study together. "It's so nice and cool here," one of them said.

"Shut up and study," another said. "I have entrance exams in six months. What're we gonna do?"

"I don't know, study?" Y/N retorted while sitting next to his girlfriend.

"Obviously," the person replied.

"What school are you going to apply to anyway?"

"Kamii," Y/N answered.

"Kamii? Are you sure man? That's a tough school to get into," one of them said.

"Shut up!" Touka said.

"That's my girl," Y/N said with a half-smile.

"What school do you plan on getting into?" Yoriko asked Touka.

"Oh, Kamii as well," she answered.

"Aw!" Yoriko said. "You're trying to get into the same school as your boyfriend!"

"I swear, if you don't shut up," Touka said visually angry.

Placing a hand on her shoulder, Y/N says "Touka, sweetie, please relax."

"Whatever," Touka said before standing up and walking away.

"Excuse me," Y/N said before standing up as well. "I'm gonna go talk with her."

The human fellows after his girlfriend and finds her getting a drink from a vending machine. "Hey, Y/N," she said noticing him.

"What's up with you, birthday girl?" Y/N asked her.

"You remember," she stated.

"How could I forget my girlfriend's birthday?"

"I don't know."

"Touka, come on."

"What?"

"I know you too well to understand that something's wrong," he told her.

Touka sighed while sitting down on a bench. He sat next to her and they lock eyes. "Come on," he said while smirking.

Touka slightly blushed and looked away. "I hate that I love you," she said.

"I know. And I wanna know what's going on with you," Y/N replied.

"It's... what happened to you... with Ayato," she explained.

"I don't know if you noticed, but I'm still alive," Y/N told her before forming a super serious face. "OR AM I?!"

He proceeds to slam his head into the wall in an attempt to phase right through it. "What the hell?" Touka asked while slightly chuckling. "You're so stupid."

Y/N chuckled while rubbing his forehead. "But you get it, I'm still here."

"I know, but seeing my brother nearly kill you was heartbreaking," Touka retorted.

Y/N lifted up his shirt and revealed another scar where one of his kidneys would be. "And it's thanks to you I'm still here," he told her, pointing to the fact she gave him one of her kidneys.

"Yeah..." she said while looking to the floor.

With one of his hands, Y/N got her to look him in the eyes. Her face rested in his hand and felt open. Like, she didn't need to hide anything. The human stared at her with love and not hatred or disgust. She didn't feel tense and felt that she could relax.