Hot Potatoes

"I can't believe I blew eighty-five thousand won on a project risk management textbook today." Yejin muttered, showing Hyun Bin the payment confirmation page on her phone. "This had better be worth it."

At this rate, she didn't know what to be more scared of looking at-- the amount of school work awaiting her, or her bank account.

"I know right. I just spent a bomb on some engineering textbooks, and some basic lab supplies. Guess that's a good reminder for us to study hard."

"Oh yes, you engineering people have lab work as well." The former council president nodded sympathetically. "I think we have to stop going for BBQ dates, Bin. I don't think I can even afford webfoot octopus now."

"We'll manage. You know, just cut down on spending on dates and perhaps, stay off online shopping, snack less and save more."

Nodding in agreement, Yejin replied, "True that, most of the time I snack not because of real hunger, but more of feeling peckish."

School will officially commence after the weekends, which also meant that today was the final day of the freshman orientation program.

After all the team bonding games, the drama and the awkward moments that she had not planned for, Yejin was happy to enjoy the final event of the day in peace.

The orientation group leaders had planned for an evening outdoor movie night for the freshmen, where movies such as '3 Idiots' and 'Slumdog Millionaire' were played on a big screen in the school field.

The students had been instructed to sit with their orientation groups, but needless to say, everyone had somehow found their way to their respective friends and were sitting in little groups all over the field.

Everyone was having a good time.

It was a breezy spring night, and a few of the interest groups and clubs had set up booths selling snacks and drinks as part of their fundraising campaigns.

Delicious smells of popcorn, cotton candy, roasted corn and potatoes lingered in the air and before he knew it, Hyun Bin felt a smaller hand tap his arm.

"Oh! Corn and potatoes!"

Instinctively, he pulled himself into a standing position.

"Where are you going?" Yejin asked, knowing her boyfriend had read her mind, even though she had literally said two minutes ago that she was done with spending unnecessarily on snacks.

It wasn't long before Hyun Bin was back with a freshly-roasted potato and a bottle of Pocari Sweat.

"That looks delicious!" The former council president exclaimed, leaning over to take the roasted treat out of the cardboard takeaway box.

"Oh gosh, it's hot!" As expected, she dropped it—literally—like a hot potato, instinctively bringing her fingers to her lips as she blew on them.

Smiling in feigned exasperation, the doting boyfriend picked the potato up and quietly peeled it, before cautiously handing it back to Yejin.