Chapter 24: Dances and Demons

I sat in one of the office chairs in the empty studio lobby, waiting for the limo to show up. Mettaton said it would be here in 30 minutes. It was still strange that this place seemed so lifeless when it was empty. That was probably because all the fancy furniture and posters were packed away. Although I had only been here a few times before, I already missed the fabulous atmosphere. I know that sounds weird coming from a farm girl, but that's just how I feel.

While we were waiting, Mettaton ordered Chinese food for us to eat since all the cooking gear he used on his cooking show had been packed. It wasn't much but, he insisted on doing so. This might be his last night on the surface. The food had gotten here in no time at all. A couple orders of noodles, rice, and chicken. And also, cream cheese dumplings. If you have never had cream cheese dumplings, you haven't lived.

We sat awkwardly together in the empty lobby at a small folding table. Really, it was mostly silent and we both feared what would happen next. Also, we never dined alone. Together. It felt like that awkward first date everyone goes on. I debated whether to try making conversation to make things feel more comfortable. "Are you okay?" Mettaton asked "You seem tense, dear."

"I think so." I replied, gripping my boa to calm down "I just feel kinda awkward right now. This just feels like a date almost." Mettaton wore a sympathetic expression. He knew I was a little uncomfortable. "Darling, I won't do anything to you." he said reassuringly "This isn't a date. I know it will be some time until you're ready for that." I was worried about nothing. The thought of protesting at the dance still made me nervous. I guess I was just a little overwhelmed. But I believed I could handle it.

We soon finished eating and fixed our makeup. Every reflective surface and window I came across would always have the devil in it. They were watching us ready ourselves for the dance. I didn't know what their plan was but, I knew it would be bad. The limo soon showed up and we got in. Burgerpants stayed behind to help the movers take things to Mt. Ebbott. I guessed Mettaton was taking precautionary measures in case monsters had to leave.

Once we arrived at the school, we noticed several groups of protesters on the lawn. There were probably more inside. The plan was working. Now, we had to wait for Frisk to get here with her group. I was hoping to see (Y/F/N) inside so we could figure out how we were going to get everyone's attention to give them our message. Mettaton had gotten out first and held the door for me. I took his hand and climbed out of the limo. We walked inside the building and entered the gymnasium. The dance had already started. There were streamers and balloons all over and Napstablook was DJing. Students were dancing or talking with each other in different parts of the room. Was I nervous? Yes, I was nervous. But I didn't let it stop me.

I looked around and spotted (Y/F/N) and his/her boy/girlfriend near the refreshments. They seemed to be having fun. Mettaton and I joined them since we weren't here just for fun. "Hey, (Y/F/N)!" I said as we approached them "How are you guys?"

"We're good!" replied my friend "The plan has been working so far. Support is up 82%. Many humans and monsters are helping." 82%?! Monsters might be able to stay after all. We'll just see how the president reacts to this. I nodded hearing the good news. "That's great!" I said "Let's just hope for a positive reaction from the president."

It wasn't long before I had gotten a text from Frisk. She told me she was almost here. I told Mettaton the news and he went outside to call Burgerpants to see if he could bring a camera over. I started to feel a little anxious so I looked at random objects in the room and named them in my head. Red cup. Blue balloon. Black headphones. This was a grounding/coping technique I had learned from the school counselor. It was helpful in any situation where I feel nervous or anxious.

I watched as (Y/F/N) went to dance with his/her boy/girlfriend. They were having a great time together. All I knew was I began to feel out of place. But I also knew I wouldn't feel like that for long. "You okay, sweetie? I heard Ma ask me. I was brought back to reality. I couldn't lie to her and say I was fine. But I had no choice. "I don't know." I told her "This is my first time going to a school dance. You can't expect me to be 'okay' with every new experience."

"I understand that." Ma said "It's going to be strange and you won't always feel okay. You'll get through this. Monsters might be able to stay up here and you won't have that demon hanging on to you, controlling you, making you do things you don't want or intend to do." She was right. I had to keep it together if we were going to win. I took a deep breathe to calm myself down and nodded. "I'll try, Ma." I told her "I'll try to stay calm. I can't risk releasing the demon now. Not when we're this close to succeeding." She gave me a hug before heading over to talk with my teachers about how I was doing so far with my classes. She was proud of me for coming so far. I was proud of myself for coming this far. I couldn't let it slip. I had to keep the devil in and wear a smile even if it was fake.

Mettaton soon came back in and joined me near the refreshments. He told me Burgerpants would be here shortly. I nodded and watched my best friend have a good time. I was happy for him/her. It just had to be that exact moment a slow song played. I was not prepared for it. I just shrugged it off and decided to pay it no mind. That plan sort of worked until Mettaton wrapped an arm around me. I tensed up and blushed. I didn't know how to handle it. "Care to dance, darling?" he asked me. I already felt the fear again. But I didn't want to hurt him. I hesitated before answering. "I-I guess so." I said shyly. He then took my hand and led me out to join the other students.

I remembered the dream I had the night before the first day of school. I couldn't believe I was actually living it out. I was afraid. I was nervous. But I was also kind of happy? I tried to keep up with Mettaton. But that was hard since I couldn't dance. I tried to keep it together. I tried to keep the devil inside. I couldn't handle it. The fear was taking over. I pushed him away and looked around to find a way to escape. I soon started running towards the door exited the gymnasium. I didn't hear Mettaton calling after me. I just ran to find a window or mirror.

I ran into the girls' restroom and stood in front of one of the mirrors. I waited to see the devil. I had something I had to talk to them about. "Looking for me?" I heard them ask. I looked in the other mirrors to find them. They weren't there. I was beginning to feel afraid. "You lost after all." they said "You're a failure. A weak little mortal. What power do you have to stop me, huh?"

"Where are you?!" I shouted "Show yourself!" They only laughed before appearing in one of the mirrors. "I'm coming out." they told me "It's time to finish what I've started and send monsters away for good. No more men, no more fear. No more fear, no more suffering." I couldn't let them escape. We were already so close. Many news stations and journalists were telling the world about our plan. We could win any minute. But this devil had other plans. "I won't let you hurt them!" I exclaimed "I won't let you win!" They disappeared from the mirror. I could only hear them laughing a wicked laugh. The kind every villain does. "Is that so?" they asked. My head started spinning again like it had the other day. "You're already too late." I heard them say. I grabbed the nearest sink to balance myself. They were escaping and I felt powerless.

My chest soon felt tight and I was losing balance. I tried to call for help.

But nobody came.