Chapter 22

She fit perfectly into the crook of his body, Geoffrey could not help but notice. He had woken up just before her, and could not help but notice how beautiful she was sleeping. How her chest rose and fell so elegantly with each breath. Her skin, warm in color and feeling. Her hair, my God it drove him mad.

"Good morning, my wife," he answered, watching her wake up.

Caroline yawned. He hadn't realized yawns could be so tantalizing, "Did you sleep well?" she asked him.

"The best night's sleep I have ever had." he answered, sitting up in the bed.

"Oh my!" Caroline exclaimed sitting up, "I'm nude" she pulled the blanket over her body in an attempt to cover herself.

Geoffrey laughed, "That didn't seem to be a problem for you last night."

Caroline looked embarrassed, "Yes, well I guess I did forget we were officially married now."

"Well," Geoffrey leaned over and kissed her cheek, "I shall make sure that that never happens again."

The newlyweds decided to take breakfast late, as the female innkeeper had suggested. And when they did come down to breakfast, no one seemed to mind their well dressed but slightly unkempt appearance.

"I told you no one would care" Geoffrey whispered

"I just worry so." Caroline replied, sitting down next to him to eat.

The rest of the ride to Surrey was uneventful yet magnificent. Caroline spent the whole ride with her head on his shoulder, once again proving to Geoffrey that they fit together so well.

Geoffrey could not remember the last time he was out at the Surrey home, His parents mainly spent their winters there, and he had many memories of boyhood central to this home,, but in the past few winters Geoffrey had been off enjoying life as a bachelor. Thinking of his unmarried days, which in truth had been all but these past two days, seemed so lonely. Having Caroline as a living companion had already been beyond enthralling. He could only anxiously wait for what the rest of his life had in store for him.

"I do believe we are here" Caroline answered, lifting her head from his shoulder.

"Are you excited?" Geoffrey said eagerly. He couldn't wait to share this part of his life with her.

"I am" She nodded.

Geoffrey felt a certain feeling of proud responsibility bringing Caroline into their new residence. At this moment in time he had anything a well respected man could ask for. A wife, a house, and happiness. "Do you like it?" he asked her.

"It's beautiful," Caroline answered, "But I would love for you to give me a tour around."

"Yes! Of course. I figure we could start in the main parlor and then" Caroline cut him off.

"I thought we could start in our bedroom." Geoffrey saw the flames of desire in her eyes.

"What an excellent place to start. Follow me" he nearly made her trip with his rapid steps.

After their thorough tour of the bedroom and a well deserved afternoon nap, Geoffrey took Caroline on an official tour.

"And this will be your own personal study. Every woman in my family has gotten to use this room, so it's only fitting that you get to use it next. Anything you may need to make it more to your liking, just let me know."

"I don't think I've ever had this much space to myself before." Caroline said, wowed by the beautiful room. "I shared a bedroom with Belinda until last year. Though I suppose, I could have moved into my own room before that." Geoffrey seemed to notice the mentioning of Belinda made Carolijne a little sad.

"I was just thinking," Geoffrey replied, "We could invite Belinda to come visit us for a few weeks. We both know that she has no intention of marrying, and she'll probably be grateful to be out of the public male gaze."

Caroline's face nearly lit up, "If we have the room..."

"Of course we do." he took her hands in his, "I know how important your sister is to you. I would never take that, well her, away from you"

Caroline smiled, "We don't have to invite her right away, I would like some time to be only with you."

"Would you like to see something special?" Geoffrey asked her, not fully intending to change the subject.

"I would love to," she answered.

He led her down a series of stairs until they reached the highest point of the house. How he had forgotten to tell Caroline about it sooner eluded him, but he was glad he was telling her less.

"These are quite a lot of stairs we've climbed" Caroline said, "I may need to rest at the top."

"Worry not, we're almost there" Geoffrey answered, turning the lock on a door that he had imagined hadn't been touched in five years. Inside, like a perfect memory, lay his telescope and a collection of drawn in journals. "Welcome to my private haven, my mini planetarium."

Caroline looked around excitingly, getting to learn more about her husband, "I don't think I ever knew you were fascinated in the stars." She picked up one of his journals, "may I?"

Geoffrey nodded, "I haven't touched any of these things in five years, but the interest started at university. You can see the sky perfectly from this window.."

"These are incredible," Caroline's fingers turned through the pages, "What made you stop?"

"The fear of marrying honestly. Plus I hadn't been coming to our Surrey home most winters. I took the time enjoying the social scene of high society." He answered

"If we'll be spending a lot more time here, you should take it up again. Your diagrams and sketches are lovely"

Geoffrey felt himself blush, "Surely not as pretty as you, my lovely wife. But I think you might have the right idea."

"I'm your wife," Caroline answered, giggling, "I am suppose to have all the right ideas"