Sanctuary

A/N: Whew! I missed ya'll so much over the last two weeks. This chapter is a long one (like I really considered making it two parts) so grab a snack or drink and get cozy. And yes there will be smut. There is a teeny tiny bit of drinking beforehand so be mindful if you are sensitive to that!

~

Bucky slept in Dove's room every night since that first time they spent together.

It was never discussed and no matter how consistent it had become, Dove would still go to bed, wondering if he'd pay her a visit.

Her chest would be tight with bated breath as she'd lie on her side. Staring blankly through the darkness until her eyes stung, trying to stay awake. She'd stress over whether or not she should've left him some kind of note or said something, inviting him in. Racking her brain, going over any signs he might've given her earlier in the day to tell her he'd be sneaking in.

And then, as if called upon by her own worries— just as she'd consider letting herself fall asleep— she'd hear her door slowly creak open and creak shut just the same. Then a second later, her covers would lift from her shoulder and her mattress would dip behind her. A warm arm would slide around her ribcage, followed by the rest of the strong body that so often took up her consciousness. And she'd be met with those lingering base notes of a cologne that had been applied at the very start of his day.

Lips would be pressed to her ear and she'd be greeted with almost a coo of the words "hey, Little Wing."

More often than not, they'd end up with their hand down the other's pants, their lips pressing hot together, rolling around in the messy nest of sheets. Trying to be as quiet as they could while exploring each others bodies. Releasing their pent up desire from a day of pretending there was nothing between them. Making the most of their ridiculously sought after privacy.

And when they were done, Bucky would curl up behind Dove and play with her hair. Asking about her day and letting the girl talk herself to sleep in that adorable way she did.

It was something he realized was helpful to her. To just have her recall the mundane, meaningless details of her day, solely to get her brain to slow the fuck down for a moment. To silence her constant internal monologue or mental writing. Making her really think about details she remembered and repeat them out loud to listening ears.

Bucky liked it too, no matter if he wanted to admit it to himself or not. He liked showering her with attention and letting her feel heard for once. He also liked hearing how her voice would become raspy and she'd slur her speech the longer she spoke.

The way the word it's would disappear altogether; instead bleeding into others like s'okay or s'fine. Or the way she'd lose entire halves of her words so her usual because became 'cause. Or even the way she'd lose any kind of rhythm in her sentences and would simply spout out singular nouns and verbs.

All of this was induced by the exhaustion Dove felt deep in her bones. Not only from the way Bucky would make her cum until she nearly passed out, and spoke to her, and gently asked questions, and would rake his fingers through her hair, and held her so snug she felt like they were one— but also by him just being there with her.

He was intoxicating to her. Like she was fucking hypnotized by his presence. Like she was put into the deepest trance by a swinging pocket watch and was waiting for someone to clap their hands and bring her out of it.

Incredibly restful nights became the norm for both of them. No matter how late they stayed up or how early they had to wake up to dodge a run-in with anyone else in the house. The quality of sleep was just different. They had never felt better. Sure, it took a lot of planning and subtly asking the family about their schedules for the week in advance, but it was worth it.