༻𝐩𝐡𝐢𝐥𝐨𝐩𝐡𝐨𝐛𝐢𝐚༺

─━════⊰⊱ ◈ ⊰⊱════━─

─━════⊰⊱ ⊰⊱════━─

Philophobia; an abnormal, unjustified, and persistent, pathological fear of loving someone or falling in love with someone. In some cases, it has to do with a painful heartbreak that the person has not treated, thus he/she may feel the desire to escape situations in which they have to face it. It also affects the quality of life and keeps a person away from commitment.

Jieun's whole body shook as she waited to enter and lie down on the stretcher. Maybe it was the thin cotton nightgown she had to put on, or maybe it was her feet on the icy linoleum that covered the outside of the hospital room. Or maybe... the nervousness that dominated her.

Haeji was inside with Gi Jong and his wife. Jieun could see through the glass on the door. Right next to him, there was a doctor operating and preparing the apparatus that would allow them to see the babies she was carrying. That same doctor had taken care of her and had also been part of the team that worked with her abortion.

She took a deep breath, trying to get all kinds of negative thoughts out of her head, but she couldn't stop shaking or stop feeling the growing anxiety and anguish.

"You need to be calm, Mrs. Jeon," the nurse beside her said softly. "I can see your hands trembling."

Jieun closed her hands into fists, folding her arms.

"Do you want some coffee?"

"No," she breathed her answer. "They have been active since I woke up. I don't want to put anything in my mouth while I'm here."

The woman smiled. "Stay calm. How was your first trimester?"

"Difficult."

There was nothing rewarding at the beginning of that pregnancy. Although they found out quite late, all Jieun felt was tiredness, nausea, and the desire to stay in bed. The fear of getting attached to her twins the way she had with her daughter had made her want to feel less interested in the lives she was generating and to forget that she was even pregnant.

But it was impossible. They were there. Jieun could feel them, their kicks and jerks every single day.

The sound of her own breathing started to ring too loudly in her ears, and she realized how terrified she really was. The nurse moved to open the door, so they could get inside.

"Please," she whispered. "If he refuses to say anything... look at me as a warning... if they are girls."

The woman stared at her silently, a slight fear in her eyes. She pursed her lips and said in a very low tone: