༻𝐮𝐧𝐜𝐨𝐧𝐝𝐢𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧𝐚𝐥༺

─━════⊰⊱ ◈ ⊰⊱════━─

─━════⊰⊱ ⊰⊱════━─

The first thought that crossed Jungkook's mind was that he'd come home and find Jieun in pain, screaming to the top of her lungs, even though she wasn't the type of a scandalous woman. Though, as soon as he stepped inside, everything looked calm and under control.

He climbed the stairs to his room, and once reaching it, he found nurses operating two incubators, his mother discussing with the doctor and his wife on the bed, dressed in her white cotton nightgown with hair down and face clean from makeup she had done that morning.

As soon as Jieun saw him, she smiled in relief.

Jungkook went over to her with a smile as well that soon turned into an expression of concern. He asked his mother for the heads up and learned that Jieun's water broke inside the Office Palace, and she had been experiencing the contractions already.

He calmly took her wrist, noticing that her muscles were locked. She held her breath while going through the pain silently.

"Breathe," Jungkook felt obligated to remember her, being very careful with the tone he used. It was clear that she wasn't ready for this.

He watched Jieun sucking in the oxygen without softening her pained expression. "I thought we were going to have a few more weeks," she released, her voice hoarse. "It's too early, Jungkook... it's too early..."

"Hey," Jungkook had to pull her face in his other hand to get her attention. "Everything will be fine," he cast a quick look at the nurses to make sure they were busy, before murmuring only for her. "Gi Jong won't kill any of our children. I talked to him today."

Jieun blinked, not showing any reaction. "How can you be sure of that? How can you be so sure he's not playing with you?"

"Take any magazine or newspaper, Jieun. Listen to any radio program or talk with anyone on the street. People are smart enough to put the dots together. They came to love us for what the media was playing for them, for what we showed in public, for the story we created. They have an attachment to us, and Gi Jong knows he can put a lot to lose if he destroys the fantasy we built... he won't do any harm to the girl."

"But there's still..." Jieun choked on the words before shutting her eyes and grimacing. She let out a breath, unable to contain the groan of pain that came out so loud, it drew the attention of the nurses and Haeji.

Jungkook understood what was happening to her. He tried not to let the fear dominate his thoughts that he had been strangled by the despair and anxiety of pessimism. His heir would be taken away soon if they didn't end this war in time.

"Try not to focus on the pain, dear," one of the nurses approached with a friendly smile. "Focus on wh—"

"Don't touch me!" Jieun released aggressively without even opening her eyes. The woman stopped immediately and looked at Jungkook, who just made a polite hand gesture as if asking to give her space. She nodded, stepping back.