Chapter 13

Jack nodded and we made our way down the hallway until we could see a gaggle of people yelling. Why was no one going to the top of the ship?

As we got closer, I heard someone yell, "Jack!"

We looked around but Jack spotted them first and tugged me after him. It was Fabrizio!

They quickly hug each other in relief and Fabrizio yelled, "The boats! The are all going!"

Jack nods and said, "We gotta get up there or we're gonna be gargling saltwater. Where's Tommy?"

Fabrizio points to the top of the stairs where Tommy stands at the bars baring the rest of us from heading up.

The steward looked impassive and said, "Women! Women and children only! No men! No men!"

But some terrified men, not understanding English, try to rush through the gap, forcing the gate open. The crewmen and stewards push them back, shoving and punching them. It was a nightmare.

Finally, the frightened third class was punched back and the stewed yelled, "Get back! Get back you lot!" Then he looked to another crewman and said, "Lock it."

I was in disbelief. How could they do this to people?

Tommy was just as outraged as I was and yelled while shaking the newly locked bars, "For the love of God, man, there are children down here! Let us up, so we can have a fighting chance!"

They just looked impassive and Tommy shouts in disgust. He turns around and see us and heads over, still looking pissed.

When he reaches us, he hugs Jack and I, and then said, "It's hopeless this way."

Jack just looks around and said, "Well, whatever we're going to do we better do it fast."

I looked over and saw Fabrizio trying to have Helga come with him, but she shook her head as her father would not let her. I felt so sad that they would become separated. But I believed in Fabrizio, and he would find a new love.

We all follow Jack through several halls, and each one has been barred. We finally got to the other stairwell where a small group had gathered.

But, just like before, the steward and crewmen were barring the gate.

As we got closer, we heard the steward say, "Go on back to the main stairwell, with everyone else. It'll all get sorted out there."

Jack just looks at this for a second before losing it, "God dam it to hell son of a bitch!"

I pulled him aside and whispered, "I can unlock it... can you make a scene?"

Jack turns to me with a wide grin, kisses me quickly, and said, "You're fucking perfect Rose." Jack then turns to Tommy and Fab and said with a manic grin, "Boys, let's make some noise. Come on!" They grinned and followed Jack.

Within moments they had everyone's attention on them as they made a scene near the steward. I quickly whispered, "Confundo." While he was confused and disoriented, I took my wand to the gate and said, "Alohomora."

Once the gate was unlocked, I shouted, "Hey! The steward said he'd let us through! It's unlocked now!"

Everyone cheered and when the steward came to, most of us had already passed. Tommy clapped him on the shoulder and said, "You're a good man!"

The steward just nodded, still looking a little lost, and I snickered quietly. Jack took my hand and bent down to whisper, "What did you do?"

I said, "I used the confundo charm, which confuses someone, then I used the unlocking spell alohomora to unlock the gate."

Jack looked impressed and said, "That's my girl."

When we finally get to the top, I noticed something, "All the boats are gone Jack!"

I see Colonel Gracie leading two other women forward when I shouted, "Colonel! Are there any boats left?"

He looks at us for a quick moment and then says, "Yes, miss... there are still a couple of boats all the way forward. This way, I'll lead you!"

I felt relieved and with my hand still in Jacks, all four of us headed after him.

As we run by a band still playing Tommy snorts, "Music to drown by. Now I know I'm in First Class."

I snickered with him, then we grew quiet the closer we got to the maddening scene.

We just watch as so many women and children are crying and wailing. The men who have to leave them are choked up as well, and it's so sad to see.

I turn to Jack and said, "Maybe we should go to the other side. They might be letting men on there."

Before he could answer there was a voice that said, "Get on the boat Katherine."

I swirled around; it was Cal! Jack pulled me to him, and Tommy and Fabrizio stood by us glaring.

He looks at me then pretends to be upset, "My god, you look a fright." He then takes his coat and tries to put it on me and says, "Here, put this on."

I stepped away from him and closer to Jack before he could put his coat on me and said, "I'm fine, we don't need your help."

He looked upset now and gritted, "You are to be my wife."

Everyone just looked at him, stunned by his audacity. I finally yelled, "I am not going to be your wife! I will never belong to you!"

He took a threatening step toward me but Jack, Tommy and Fab stepped up as well, forcing Cal to step back.

He then forced a pleasant smile on his face and said, "There are boats on the other side that are allowing men in. Jack and I can get off safely. Both of us."

I snorted and said, "Then I'll just have to get in with them. I will not leave Jack."

Cal had finally had enough, "You would rather be his gutter whore?"

This offended the men, but I stood firm and said, "I'd rather be his whore than your wife. In fact, I'd rather die in that gutter you're so fond of mentioning before I would ever wed you."

Jack then said, "Rose, we need to leave."

Cal grits his teeth and said, "Just get in the damn boat Katherine."

I ignored him and turned toward Jack, Tommy and Fab and said, "Let's go boys."

I could talk Jack smirked at Cal and Tommy gave him a fake salute. As we walked away, I kept my senses open. I did not trust Cal at all.

It was a good thing I did, as Lovejoy came up and Cal took the gun, he had in his side pocket.

I yelled, "He has a gun!"