➳ 7 ➳

Dust slowly floats up toward the ceiling as I run my hands along the scrolls and books on the shelf directly in front of me. It seems like no one has been in here for centuries; everything is covered in a fine layer of dust and nothing looks like it has been moved in a long time. The door was hard to get open, too, like someone tried to hide it away from the future generations. I still got in. No matter how hard people try, I still get into the most secret of places.

The bright morning light is shining through the windows that I opened, allowing the gorgeous rays to grace my sight. It is warm in the room, making me feel at home. I've never felt like this before, not even in my own home. There's always something about libraries that make me feel like I belong, that I do have a place in this world, and if I don't have a place in this world, I have one in another. 

I haven't had time to read anything for so long, though. I used to read a lot when I was a little girl, especially when I wasn't being trained as an archer yet. However, life got in the way, and I stopped reading because I started stealing. Other things became my priority instead of reading, and that makes me a little sad. Have I grown so different from the girl I used to be that I can't be bothered with reading now? Or am I still the same little girl trying to find her place in this world? I'm not really sure.

"Heiza?" I whirl around. An arrow is already in my bow, and it's pointed right at Zuko's chest. He raises his arms quickly; his eyes are wide as he takes in the sharp tip of the arrow. "It's just me, Heiza! Don't shoot me!"

I slowly lower my bow with a sigh. "Don't you ever sneak up on me like that again," I say softly. "I will shoot next time."

"What are you doing in here?" he asks. There's a strange look in his eyes as I slip my arrow back into the quiver that's resting on my back. 

"I'm enjoying the peace and quiet."

"Oh. Did you want me to leave?"

I flash him a quick smile and shake my head. "No," I tell him. "I like the company."

He gives me a half smile, stepping beside me. I continue to stare at the books, ignoring the way my heart thuds against my rib cage. I'm afraid that he can hear it, but I realize how silly that is. No one is able to hear someone else's heart beating. Unless they are so close to me, but he isn't even that close. 

This is my chance to make my move. I have decided that he's the easiest one to pull to my side to help me find the jeweled bow, but I still haven't figured out how to do that yet. All I know is that he's still a little on the iffy side about being here. I know he feels out of place, just like I do. I can see it in his haunted eyes. I can see it in the way he carries himself, too. He's always ready to jump into action at a moment's notice because he doesn't trust anyone here. Not really, at least.

I slip one of the scrolls away from the shelf, a smile appearing on my face. The Tales Of Zasai and Other Assassins always used to be my favorite book when I was little. I loved how they could get away with everything they did; it gave me hope that I could do things without getting caught, too. I also liked how, at the end of each tale, the characters would finally be happy. I had always wanted what they had, but I know now that I will never get it.

"Do you like reading?" Zuko asks me. 

I glance up at him to find him already looking at me with curious eyes. "There's a lot that you don't know about me, isn't there?" I ask him. He nods slightly; his shaggy hair falls into his eyes. I reach up with my free hand, brushing the soft locks away. "I love reading because it allows me to enter worlds that are better than the one I'm living in right now. I know I'll turn out okay and get my happy ending in the stories because the characters do."