Prologue

A small girl sat on the grass, braiding together a flower crown as her older sister taught her.

Her beautiful black hair was braided into two cornrows that reached the end of her back, two pink bows at the end that matched her pink dress.

Her deep brown skin looked radiant as it shined underneath the afternoon sun.

A smile graced her face, as she completed the flower crown, excited to show her sister when she got home. 

She looked up as a shadow fell upon her. 

A frown soon replaced her smile as she saw a small boy, seeming to be around the age of 5, the same age as her. 

The boy had skin that resembled paper, eyes that were the same color as the light blue sky above the, and hair that resembled hay.

A scowl was on his face as he peered down at the small girl with a menacing glare.

"Your skin is the color of poop, people who look like you are ugly," The boy spat out, making the small girl shrink back in shock.

No one has ever said such cruel things to her, especially about her skin tone. The small girl always took pride in her skin as it resembled that of her mother, who the small girl found to be the most beautiful person in the world.

Now, this boy called her ugly, with such a strong conviction that she couldn't help but look down at her skin and think it did look a bit like poop.

But, she quickly got rid of that thought, she knew she was beautiful, as her mother told her every day. She wasn't going to let this boy make her think otherwise.

Before the small girl can utter a reply, a fist flew to the boy's face.

The boy fell down to the floor wailing in pain.

The small girl was shocked to find another boy who wore a grin on his face as he watched the boy cry on the floor.

"Her skin is beautiful, you're just mad you're skin looks like eggshells." The new boy said defending the small girl.

This boy's hair was pitch black like that of the night sky, eyes that reflected the clouds on a rainy day, and skin that was lighter than a peach.

The first boy quickly ran away, screaming for the teacher.

"Snitch," The boy before her mutter.

"Are you okay?" He asked turning his sterling grey eyes onto the small girl before her.

The boy found the girl to be extremely beautiful and had wished to talk to her, but he always chickened out. Until today when he overheard what Brian had said to her and knew he had to step in for her.

"I'm okay," The small girl said, her brown eyes that reminded the boy of chocolate looked at him with awe.

"Thank you, but you shouldn't have done that you could get in trouble." She whispered shyly, her face heating up when she remembered what the boy had done.

"Meh, he deserved it. You shouldn't listen to him because you're beautiful" The boy said a small blush appearing on his face.

He called me beautiful again

The small girl thought making her smile.

"I'm Jesse! Would you like to make flower crowns with me?"The small girl asked hoping that he would say yes.