chapter 24

naoya zen'in

That voice was his. "Suguru?" Shoko turned around to the words he had said. Seeing her dead friend, alive in front of herself, she stepped back a little but then laughed. "Why're you laughing." "Suguru died." As she tried to ignore whatever she saw, whatever hallucination or reality that was, she turned back, just to get something stuck on her back. "What is thi-" Looking at it, a curse was sucking on her back. It was one of Suguru's, she knew that.

"Who are you?" "Don't I look familiar?" "Suguru wouldn't do that." Trying to keep her cool, she tried to get whatever that was, off of herself. Pushing one part of it off, she tried to heal the wound with her technique but it didn't work. "Oh, it's sucking out the cursed energy out of you. Shoko. It's killing you."

"Satoru!" She yelled as loud as she could, easy for Kayo to locate her. "I don't think that he'll hear you." "If not him, someone else. I don't care. I won't forgive you. Taking Suguru's body for your egoistic beliefs, pathetic." Finally taking the curse off, she slowly walked away. Feeling less and less able to move, she turned around, "I want to believe that there is a little bit of Suguru inside of whatever is in front of me. At least it's his body. He won't let you live in it freely." "Dear, he's dead. Just like you are going to be in a few minutes."

Feeling a touch on his shoulder, Geto's body turned around but before anything could happen, Kayo's katana was inside of him. "You were there. The graveyard. I saw you there." "That was you, huh." He held his wound, forming curses which she couldn't see. Fighting them, she started to explain, "You know, Suguru once fought against Toji. Quite a disaster to be honest. He was down quicker than I could even see. Not that he was bad, Toji was too good. Why didn't you take him? His body would've been a way greater vessel." "Toji Fushiguro?" "Yes." "He was protected." "So, you thought about it?" "Of course." "Do you know who he was protected by?" Not realizing the situation her sister was in, she continued to talk to it. "No." "By me." She indeed protected Toji's dead body all the time, she would've never forgiven herself if anything happened to it. Stopping, she was now done with the curses, walking towards the body itself.

"His forehead. Try to open those stitches. Suguru never had stitches. The brain is what controls everything. There must be something inside of his head." Shoko yelled at her sister with the last few breaths she could take. Coming closer, slicing them off, Suguru's head opened, revealing a brain. "What is this?" She stepped back, as someone called out to her, "Ieiri-san! I'll do this." Satoru walked towards Suguru's body as Kayo walked back. Her eyes now laid on her sister's body. "Shoko!"

Running towards her, falling onto her knees, she touched her sister's face. "Shoko. Hey. Wake up." Breathing heavier and heavier, she put her fingers around her neck, feeling a slow pulse. "You're alive." Smiling in relief, she tried to wake her up. "Shoko, please, you can heal yourself. Wake up. Don't sleep now. I promise, I won't let Yaga give you any more work than you already have." She sighed. "You'll be able to sleep as long and much as you want." Putting hand again on her sister's neck, the smile on her face faded. There was no way.

"Satoru. Stop!" She yelled at the man, who was about to attack the other. "Shoko, she's... aren't you able to use the reverse technique? Isn't there anyone? A dead person can be reawakened in 24 hours, Satoru please." He ran towards her, looking at the dead body of one of his close friends. Yuuta. "Yuuta." "What?" "I can bring Yuuta here. He's away right now but he'd come back if I said that there was an emergency." Satoru walked off, leaving Kayo alone with her dead sister.

Sitting there, holding Shoko in her arms, Kayo looked into her face. "I can't believe it. I again messed up. I again lost someone close to me and I was watching. I couldn't do anything. I couldn't even help." Brushing Shoko's long brown hair off, she smiled at her face. "I never wanted mom and dad to be gone. I don't want you to go Shoko. I tried to give my everything for you to have a good life. I wanted you to be happy. I wanted us to be happy. I tried to be the parent you never had. You never had a parent because of me. I am so deeply sorry that I ruined your life because I couldn't get a hold of my emotions. But you're the only thing I have left Shoko. Please don't leave me. I don't want someone that I love to leave me again."

Tears rolling down her face, she saw something craved into the ground:

Don't try to help me. It's impossible. Move on with your lives.

"No." Heavier tears started to flow down her face. "Let me at least try. Let me get help. Let me try to believe that you'll return." Moving her head on hers, she hugged the body tighter than before. "Kayo?" Turning her head to the voice she had heard, she looked at Naoya. Slowly putting Shoko down, she walked towards him, pressing herself on his chest, wrapping her arms around him. "Noaya, you're alive." Putting his hands on her back and head, he also put his head on hers. "Of course I'm alive." The last part came out more silent, seeing Shoko's dead body on the ground. "Did she..." Receiving a heavy nod, he could hear her crying. She wanted to scream. She wanted to scream her lungs out but it didn't happen. She was able to control whatever she felt.

After quite a while, Kayo loosened her grip and looked at his face. "Thank you." "For what?" "For being there for me. Every single time. You're close. When Toji died, you were the first person to understand. When Shoko died." She sighed. She had had hope in Yuuta's technique but now, she felt nothingness. "You're here for me and you didn't die."

Overwhelmed by the emotions, Kayo kissed him. The silent Naoya kissed her back, earning her smile. It was a moment. Their moment. It was a moment in which she felt a little bit of hope. Being there for each other, that was the main stone of the relationship they were building.

"We could say that we shared this moment with Shoko." Kayo laughed, earning a smile by him. "Are you going to-" "I don't think I will." She showed him the circle around her sister's corpse. "I accidentally started my domain and it has destroyed everything around it. But I should start living in the real world again. Shoko would've wanted that." Kayo nodded while saying all this, as Naoya's hand brushed over her face. Pushing the strands over her eyes to the side, he smiled, "You're not alone anymore either."

"Yeah, I am not." A smile grew on her face, looking at Shoko's body, she wished that she could either be saved or was resting somewhere, possibly judging her sister's actions.