18

TW: Mention of Self Harm, alcoholism, severe loss of sleep.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Night."

The delicious smell of bacon wafted through the air and grease-stained my apron as I flipped the strips over.

Wilbur was standing next to me, observing my every move to make sure I didn't do anything too rash. Every time I met his gaze his eyes were soft- sad, almost. Though, I would refer to it as more solemn. It was as if he wasn't actually paying attention, but every time that grease would pop he'd flinch, his eyes scanning over my upper body to make sure that I was ok.

I never realized how much Will cared about my wellbeing until that night. Every time I thought about the pain in his voice it made me wish he never showed up, but I knew that the heartbreak that my death would've caused him would've been a thousand times worse.

No, maybe I shouldn't have gone there in the first place. Maybe, I shouldn't have interacted with anyone at that party. But, that fate- I guess. I wasn't quite sure if I believed in fate, I mean- why would my fate be to lose my fiance? But, there's really no way to know.

I placed the fully cooked pieces onto a plate guarded by paper towels. I had to spend a few more minutes waiting for the last few to finish, my mind running over my last few thoughts.

In a blur, I took the plate and placed it on the counter. After pulling out one of the stools I let my body rest. In all honesty, going to sleep at 12 and waking up at 4 wasn't ideal, but it was better than my usual schedule.

I was dazed, barely knowing what was going on. I grabbed one of the pieces, not entirely registering the stinging pain that came from the burning hot meat.

"Y/n!" Will shouted, grabbing it out of my hand and dropping it back onto my plate.

"Oh!" The burning caught up to my sense, the tips of my fingers tinted red, "Oh no!" I jumped up and sprinted towards the sink, Wilbur in tow. I flipped the spout to warm water and threw my hand under it, a tinge of pain coming from the reaction. Though, I knew it would make me better than cold water would.

Will hovered next to me, watching as the water ran over my fingers. He huffed slightly, taking a look at my tired face.

"What's wrong?" I asked.

"I should've been paying closer attention. If I was watching you better I would've caught you before you touched anything."

"Will, I just wasn't thinking, it's not your fault."

I met his eyes directly, and only then did I realize how exhausted he looked.

"You don't have to lose sleep for me, you know. I'll be fine."

"I..."

"Will, look..." I dried my hand on a towel, "I have you, now. I don't feel nearly as hopeless. Why in the world would I want to hurt you?" I put my hand onto his cheek.

In all honesty, I didn't want to hurt him- but there are just some things that aren't that easy to leave behind. Once you moved in with him he forced you to lighten your drinking, locking all of the alcohol away in a cabinet, the key to which he slept on. The minor bits of self-harm I had picked but up. I never wanted to do anything noticeable, so I would tear at my cheeks with my teeth and peel away the skin around my fingernails.

Once I moved in with him he started cutting my nails and putting disgusting ointment on them to stop me from biting them. He started monitoring me when I brushed my teeth, not letting me leave until I used mouthwash. He was responsible- and losing sleep because of it.

It was difficult, and I was still fatigued from the cold and sudden loss of constantly accessible alcohol. I still bit at my nails absentmindedly, only remembering when I would taste it. I would still leave cuts in my mouth from my teeth, gravely regretting it when Wilbur would stare me down as I swished the mouthwash around between my cheeks.

His hand cupped yours, him now holding it to his face.

"As long as you're okay my sleep doesn't matter. It's reversible anyways."

I sighed, giving in for now.

"Here, we're both tired. How about we eat and then take a nap?"

I could see Wilbur pondering it before he came to a decision.

"We, as in both of us?"

"Yes, both of us. We go back upstairs and back to sleep."

"Sounds good to me," He smiled, walking back over to where the bacon sat.

"Wake me up when you do, alright?" He said as he sat down.

"Aye aye, captain."

Subconsciously I knew that he wouldn't be asleep until I was, but I would take what I could get.

-------------------------------------------------------

831 words

began- 4/29/2021

published- 4/29/2021

estimated time worked on- 30 minutes

unedited