CH 9: What I should Have Told You

Seonghwa shivered, fondness sparking in his chest. "Say it again," he whispered, his eyes lingering on Hongjoong's lips.

"What? Sorry?" Hongjoong's brows furrowed. Seonghwa shook his head.

"No," he sounded breathless, but he couldn't find the will to care. Warmth spread through his stomach as he saw understanding light up his mate's features.

"Oh," Hongjoong said, sounding just as breathless as Seonghwa. "My love."

___________________________________________

Seonghwa

Seonghwa stared down at his hands, head bowed, tears soaking through his loose pajama pants. Slender fingers clenching together caged in his knees.

It had been two hours since Hongjoong had come home and they had argued. Seonghwa's chest ached terribly, constricting around his lungs like the jaw of a python. His stomach churned with an unshakeable dread.

It had been an hour since he had ventured down the hallway to their room. Hongjoong hadn't been there. Seonghwa heard him in the bathroom. However, when he tried to open the door, it was locked.

Hongjoong never locked the door.

Seonghwa's stomach dropped. His heart stumbled before working itself into a frenzy. He jiggled the handle. Hongjoong shouted at him to go away.

Time had slipped away from him while he begged his mate to open the door, to let him in. Hongjoong remained infuriatingly adamant even as he vomited over and over again. Every pleading word was met with fierce opposition and punctuated by loud retching that could be heard through the door.

It had been quiet for a while now. The door had rattled when Hongjoong thumped down against, but that was the last sound from inside the bathroom. Seonghwa didn't know what was wrong or what he should do. No one had ever prepared him for if his mate locked him out while throwing his guts up. Although, if he was a better mate, maybe Hongjoong wouldn't have locked him out. His stomach twisted itself into knots at the thought.

A small whimper escaped him, "Hongjoong."

Only his pounding heart responded. The thunderous beat drummed an anxious rhythm against his ribcage. Seonghwa whimpered, drawing his knees tighter against his chest. The silence pressed in on Seonghwa, popping and fizzling in his ears.

"Hongjoong."

Not even the rustle of clothing could be heard.

Seonghwa startled violently as the jingling ringtone Hongjoong had never changed on his phone blared loudly from their bedroom.

Seonghwa sniffled, pushed himself up and walked towards their room. His eyes lingered on the bathroom door, ears straining to catch any sign of movement, as he paused in the doorway to their room, but there was nothing. He entered their bedroom reluctantly and picked up Hongjoong's phone which had been thrown haphazardly onto the bed. He glowered at the screen.

Spite had his finger hovering over the screen, ready to decline the call, but his gut urged him to answer. On the last ring, he accepted the call.

"Why are you calling my mate?" he asked, voice dangerously low, not bothering with polite formalities.

Eden took a moment to respond. "Why do you have Hongjoong's phone?"

"What do you mean why? He's my mate."