CH 2: Mates

Yeosang listens to Wooyoung gushing about the tall, gorgeous, kind, amazing, funny transfer student every day. Enduring his own silent heartache at seeing the one he had been in love with falling deeply for an omega.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Wolves were distinct from humans by their scents that filled whatever space they occupied. It wasn't any specific scent really, more like a presence that added weight to the air and made it tangy or spicy or earthy depending on whether the wolf was an alpha, beta or omega.

Alpha's generally added a spicy hint to the air while omegas offered a tingly tangy scent and omegas offered a calming earthiness.

It was the tangy scent of an omega that haunted Wooyoung as he walked through the halls, even when he returned home.

It was insanely intoxicating how good the omega, Seonghwa, smelled. Wooyoung wished he had a wolf nose, if only to know what Seonghwa truly smelled like.

He knew his thoughts were crazy. A human should never even bother having a single thought about a wolf. They couldn't be mates. And wolves lived to find their mates. It was practically unheard of for a wolf to "mate" with a human. The few that did endure constant belittlement from other hybrids while the human copped hate from other jealous humans and those few cult groups who believed as adamantly as the wolves that mixing humans and wolves was disgusting and wrong.

But, Wooyoung still hoped. He couldn't help but to hope. Seonghwa was gorgeous. And he was in most of his classes too! Seonghwa actually sat with Wooyoung a fair bit too. Sitting beside him when Yeosang and the alpha weren't there.

On the third day, Seonghwa entered the room and smiled at Wooyoung when he saw him and walked over, excitedly sitting next to Wooyoung in the empty space that Yeosang usually filled. Wooyoung didn't have the heart to tell him that Yeosang was just talking to their previous professor and would be there soon. Nor did he want to tell Seonghwa to move. Not when the omega had been so happy to take the spot beside him.

Of course there were whispers. The news of wolves on campus had spread like wildfire through dry bushland. There were no wolves at this after school. The area had a higher human population and the wolves in the area usually preferred to travel for an extra hour to go to a wolf populated school rather than mingle with humans. So, not only were the students whispering about the wolves, but also the closeness of the wolves to Wooyoung and Yeosang.

Wooyoung hadn't heard any bad things said about the wolves yet. Only surprise and confusion at wolves transferring to their campus, not just because they were wolves but because, who the hell transferred campuses half way through the last semester of the year?

The wolves disappeared after classes, often only to reappear in another class that shared with Wooyoung or Yeosang. They apparently shared similar interests to the Yeosang and himself. But unlike Yeosang and Wooyoung, most of their classes were different from each other's. They had similar interests but the alpha, Hongjoong was more interested in producing music than choreography, which is what interested Seonghwa.

The only class all four of them shared so far was English Film. But, Wooyoung knew that Yeosang knew the two hybrid's schedules already. He had a feeling it was more to prepare himself in advance for Wooyoung's endless gushing about Seonghwa. Wooyoung hadn't missed Yeosang's growing agitation with him whenever he began talking about Seonhwa, even though it had only been three days.

Wooyoung felt guilty when he saw Yeosang walk into the room, his eyes landing on his seat filled by Seonghwa. He saw something flicker across Yeosang's face before it disappeared and was replaced by his intimidating mask once more.