Waiting

"This is my favorite album of all time. I'm obsessed with it." Jack gushed.

Jack, Rebekah, and Nate were in Nate's bedroom sharing their latest music discovery. It had kind of become an unspoken contest back in middle school to try and outdo each other with good music. They always spent their extra cash at the local music store hunting down the best albums. And today, it seemed like Jack had won this round.

"I like it a lot." Nate agreed. "Can I borrow it sometime?"

"Hell no! Did you not just hear me? Favorite record ever. I'm not parting with it."

"Fine, whatever." Nate turned to Rebekah. "So I wrote this new song. I want you to tell me what you think of the lyrics." He pulled a very wrinkly folded piece of paper out of his jean pocket. Unlike Rebekah, Nate's lyrics were always a mess and usually written on scrap paper or the back of old school assignments. He handed it over to Rebekah.

She unfolded it and read his familiar handwriting. The lyrics were very poetic and flowed beautifully for the most part. It was a song about a secret love and the struggles it brought.

"Wow, it's great. Who is it about?" She asked looking up at him.

He wrinkled his eyebrows, seeming to recall a memory. "No one, really. It's an imaginary love."

She turned to Jack intending to show him the lyrics, but he was laying on his back, silently singing along to the cd, obviously too lost in the music to care.

"So," Nate said. "How is that one song going? Can I see it yet?"

She frowned. "I'm still stuck. And no, you can't see it. Maybe later."

"Please!"

"Maybe later, I said!"

"But I can help!"

"Maybe. Later."

"Fine. Are you guys hungry?"

And at those magic words, Jack sat up. "Food? Hell yeah!"

"I'm not hungry." Said Rebekah.

"You sure?"

"Yeah, I had a big dinner."

"Mom didn't make dinner." Jack said.

"I had cereal."

"That's not a big dinner."

"I had two bowls."

"We don't even have milk."

"Shut up, Jack."