Chapter 10 - Let's Grab Some Meat! (2)

"Haha, now this is what I'm talkin' 'bout! Let's get grillin'!" With chopsticks in one hand, Ranmaru began placing the beef on the flat grill in the middle of the table without an ounce of delay.

The frizzling of the juicy flank steak and the crackling of the hot oil was definitely tempting, making me want to give it a shot too. I dipped a piece in spice sauce before setting it on the grill, and Asuka followed suit. Ren, too, positioned his platter on a separate grill while happily whistling. While we all were waiting for the meat to cook to medium-rare, Hijirikawa and Tokiya were already starting off with their dishes. Pretty soon, the meat sizzling on the grill was cooked to perfection and I eagerly took mine off and placed it in front of me, ready to just eat already.

"...Woahh! This is actually really good! I've never tasted such quality meat like this before!" I confessed while placing a hand on my stuffed mouth.

"Right?! Any meat fan can be sure to regret not checking this place out a'least once! Fill up your stomachs good, ya hear? Eat, gain energy and then end it with a breezy nap."

(Oh gosh! Did Kurosaki-san just agree with me?! I thought he hated me after I acted that way at the agency...)

I didn't know how to react when someone as intimidating as Ranmaru spoke with such enthusiasm, not to mention it was all directed at me...! I guess that's just how deep his love for meat runs. I didn't know how to respond, so I just pursed my lips into a wry smile.

"That's Ran-chan for you, a pure meat fanatic through and through. And now that we're on the topic, I see that Icchi's dish is lacking the very highlight this place has to offer." Ren didn't hesitate in the least to comment as he observed Tokiya's soup with goading eyes.

"Leave him be Jinguji. After all these years surely even YOU recognize the fact that Ichinose-san sides with the greens, no?" Instead of Tokiya's displeased voice, Hijirikawa faced the orange head in his stead.

Tokiya only looked away as he silently continued sipping to which Ren reacted with a low chuckle and hands of surrender. Ranmaru paid no heed to all this frivolity since he kept stuffing his face with meat after meat. I, too, continued chewing on my white, tender muscle and gave Asuka the rest since it wasn't up to my palette. Sometimes I pass bits of food that I dislike to Asuka, and as always, she eats them without any complaints. I'm glad she isn't as picky as me!

.

.

.

.

We were finally done with the yakiniku dishes. After paying the bill to the waitress, Ranmaru leaned back on his chair while rubbing his stomach, wearing a contented expression. Asuka set down her chopsticks after emptying her plate the very last and letting out a reposing sigh.

(Haaaa, that was delicious and fulfilling! I'm glad Hijirikawa-san invited us as well otherwise we would have missed out on such exuberant delicacy unconsciously!) 

"Well, well... Isn't it about time you ladies return back to the academy? It's pretty late already and lunch hour ended 30 minutes ago." Ren stated as he glimpsed at his watch ticking.

"Oh, you're right! Ayame, we should head back since we didn't even inform anyone that we'd be delaying for this long! Let's go..." Asuka jumped up from her chair and quickly pulled me by my sleeve.

"Wait up, allow us to escort you back as well." Hijirikawa stood up simultaneously just as I was getting up as well.

However, Ranmaru's warning abruptly halted his action, "Oi, Masato... We have to meet up with a new client after this. There ain't no time for stuff like this."