Chapter 17 - A Quiet Confession?

<ASUKA'S POV>

.

.

.

After the booming public announcement reverberated across the morning sunlit hallways via the general speaker, I couldn't get the event's date out of my head any longer. It had completely slipped my mind with all the crumbling stuff going on in the academy and the reminder just stressed me out further. With such a minute time left, I still had yet to even choose the members, let alone plan for the venue and the stage equipment!

"I can't believe I completely forgot about the Headmaster's condition...! There's barely a month left until the S.I.S and I still haven't even gotten the foundation of my concert ready! What am I going to do...?" 

I desperately slumped my shoulders as I flopped on my chair, my mind a turmoil of frenzied thoughts about my current, grim dilemma. The others peered at me with concerned looks, equally as confounded as I seemed. I discerned Natsuki stretch his arm out in consideration, but a voice halted his action.

"Calm down Kurashina, you won't be able to achieve anything by panicking needlessly. What you must do right now is decide who you want to choose as your supporting members. Simply take it one step at a time."  

I turned to my side, facing the source of the reassuring voice added with slightly wide eyes. He pivoted his head and faced me with a hint of a playing smile, and that's all it took for the words to suddenly get clogged up in my throat. But I couldn't just awkwardly stare at him without saying anything, so I somehow managed to get out his name, "Hijirikawa-san...?"

"Masa's right, Asuka-chan! Getting worked up will only make you even more anxious! So relax those tensed-up muscles and breath!" Ittoki gazed at me with bright eyes, clumsily demonstrating the breathing technique in motion with his hands and inflating abdomen.

"A-Alright... You guys are right, I should simply keep it together and focus!" I momentarily closed my eyes, trying to return the rhythm of my pacing heartbeat. 

"Well then, now that you've got your cool back, it's time to get rid of the first obstacle! So, who are the lucky 3 candidates you've got in mind?" Tomo's lips curled up into a pleased grin, and I felt everyone's eyes locked on me once again, except this time it was in anticipation rather than worry.

"Ah... ummm... w-well..."

I couldn't help but feel rather nervous by being the center of attention all of a sudden so I shifted my gaze to my twiddling thumbs instead. But upon that question, one distinct person immediately came to mind... 

(S-Should I really ask him...? No, he's already helped me so much as is and I wouldn't want to burden him further with my own issues but... It would be nice, wouldn't it? It'll be a bit embarrassing saying it in front of the others though, but they're waiting for a reply from my side... I mean, it wouldn't hurt to try. H-Here goes nothing...!)

I let out a low starting breath before continuing, "I may or may not have someone in mind..."

I took notice of everyone's faces instantly perking up in curiosity, their silent gazes intensifying. I then mustered up the courage to voice out the impending question in my mind before looking in his direction and bashfully squirming on the spot.

"H-Hijirikawa-san, w-would you please lend me your support?" I quickly dipped my head in a low bow, feeling the heated blood rush to my face.

At least my position prevented anyone from noticing my flushed cheeks, and the few seconds I waited in suspense for an answer from his end felt like elongated minutes instead. I don't know if it was merely my imagination playing tricks on me, but it seemed that Masato was a bit taken aback by my unexpected request as I was met with a voiceless reaction.