Chapter 14 - Suspicion Everywhere

After Asuka and I were all prepared and set for the day, like always, we headed to the main academy hall together. I was still so overjoyed by everything that happened this morning that I was practically beaming the entire time while we were walking together. I absolutely couldn't be in any more bliss.

"Haha, you weren't kidding when you said that you were looking forward to today's class, huh? I could feel your brimming enthusiasm from a mile away." Asuka chuckled with a hand in front of her mouth.

I sprung a tiny hop as I started, "*giggle* It's just... I just feel sooo happy, as if it's something so big! When it isn't even THAT huge of a deal! I don't get it... But in the end, I know that all of this will come in handy in the future. Maybe that's why I'm so ecstatic?"

"That may be the reason. But unfortunately, our time to continue this discussion's apparently over... We'll see each other after classes?"

"Mmhmm, the usual. See you!"

Ending our conversation with a friendly wave, the two of us took our separate paths to class. Skipping through the extended corridors, I noticed a short figure up a few paces ahead.

(Oh, isn't that...)

"Hey, Syo-kun!" I called out to him, scrambling his way while doing so.

"W-Wooaahh!!! Ayame?! Don't yell like that when it's so quiet, it scared the living daylights out of me!" Syo flinched hard in his spot - the shocked expression on his face purely conveying how startled he really was.

"A-Ah, I'm so sorry about that! Forgive me...!" I quickly clapped my hands together apologetically and bent downward in a slight bow to which Syo let out an inflated sigh.

"It's fine... 'sides, I was the one who was way too distracted by my own thoughts so don't fret it."

Syo faced me with a wide grin, but I couldn't help getting a strange feeling that something was amiss. Though he acted like his natural, zealous self, it seemed like he wasn't expressing as much energy and liveliness as he used to before. There was also this imperceptible weariness reflecting in his eyes; I wasn't sure if I was simply overthinking things.

"Umm, Syo-kun... Are you alright? You seem a bit, I dunno, tired..." I decided it'd be for the best if I just came out with it as experiencing Syo's odd behaviour didn't help but worry me.

For a second, it looked like Syo faltered in his steps, and the smirk on his face vanished for the briefest of moments. But as quickly as the emotions he displayed wavered, he regained his footing and replied, "Huh, why'd you think that? I'm as active as can be!"

Syo persisted to maintain that smile on his face, but I could sense the uncertainty in his tone. I just knew that he was disguising something behind that facade, but it's not like I could probe any further. We only met a couple days ago - I couldn't straight out force him to explain what was going on here.

(What are you hiding, Syo-kun...? I hope everything's okay......)

An uneasy feeling began spiralling up inside, creating knots in my stomach when Syo and I walked side by side to our classroom. But I couldn't do or say anything... All I could do was hope that all of this wouldn't lead to anything serious. I shook my head, trying my utmost to rid myself of all these troubling thoughts. Exhaling a short sigh, I later started, "Hey, Syo-kun--"

"Yo, shorty and Ayame-chan."

Just as I began to speak, a voice cut in between from behind us. I didn't even have to turn around to know the source of the interruption since I already had a pretty good guess of who it was.

"WAAHH!!! SERIOUSLY?! This is the second time today!" Syo, again, freaked out from the sudden sound as he furiously spun around and glared at Ren.

"Hmm? Am I missing something here? Lady-chan?" Ren sought answers as he gazed back and forth between Syo and me.