Chapter 20 - Last Minute Rescue!

"Alright, here goes nothing..."

I muttered nervously, to which Tokiya reacted with a firm nod. He proceeded to crouch down until my eye level before cupping his hands together and pivoting his head to face me sternly. The guy before me then motioned with his head for me to hop on, so I did precisely that. And though it was my idea in the first place, I suddenly felt somewhat self-conscious as I hesitantly stepped on top of his positioned palm. I then reluctantly placed a hand on his shoulder, soon propping myself up.

(I really hope he doesn't mind any of this...)

"Ready?"

Thankfully, it appeared he didn't notice any of my concerns as he asked while I managed to fix a stable stance.

And so, I responded along with an affirmative nod, "Yes...!"

Tokiya then carefully straightened his posture, slowly lifting his arms vertically a bit at a time. But even regardless of all my mental preparation, the sudden movement caused me to slightly lose my sense of balance, and I nearly toppled over like some spineless ragdoll.

"W-Woah--!!!"

"Careful!"

Shrinking my torso a bit in an attempt to regain my centre of gravity, my clasp on Tokiya's uniform grew tighter. The midnight blue head helping me froze in place as he diverted his gaze upwards, his brow furrowed in hinting worry.

I quickly returned a trembling thumbs up followed by a considerably awkward laugh, "I-I'm fine! I'll try to be more cautious from now, haha..."

Tokiya, however, didn't seem the least bit convinced by my statement as he continued to stare up at me for a few more seconds before releasing a light exhale.

"Let's try this again then, shall we? I'll be raising you up now."

"R-Right... Let's do this...!"

I tried my best to maintain a steady footing this time around as the person beneath me gradually boosted me up. Thankfully, I didn't stumble on this second attempt and before long the windowsill was within my arm's reach.

(Yes! Okay, now I just need to...)

I extended my hand further, grabbing onto the ledge firmly. Taking a deep breath, I steeled my resolve before ultimately taking the leap as I worked on pulling myself up towards the small gap.

(Come on, just a bit more...!)

As I persisted forward, I shifted my hand's position in order to obtain a more secure grip. However, in doing so, my bare skin grazed against something piercingly sharp and I reflexively let go, losing my hold.

(O-Oh no--!)

It all unfolded so fast. Before I had any chance to process what was transpiring around me, I already felt my entire body reeling backwards. The ceiling above me violently spun around as my entire line of sight shook uncontrollably. I could do nothing but instinctively and tightly shut my eyes, bracing myself for the rough impact of the concrete marble floor.

And in the still darkness that veiled my vision, I only managed to catch a disquieted yell in the deafening silence, "Watch out!"

.

.

.

The subtle scent of cologne tingled my nose as a snug presence wrapped around my body. Oddly enough, I couldn't sense any sort of pain in the slightest. Puzzled by this unfamiliar feeling, I tentatively opened my eyelids only to be greeted by something I'd least expected.