Chapter thirty four- Punishment

I sat on the cold, metal bench in the armory, staring at the array of daggers, trying to pick one to take.
In the middle of my pondering, a fellow solider came marching in.
I stood up in defense.

"Look I was onl-"

"The King has summoned you, Robert."

"Oh... I see. I'll go straight to him."

"He awaits you in the throne room."

I got up from the bench, snagging a shiny silver dagger on my way out.
It took me about five minutes to get to the throne room from the armory, but I felt like I was late to a highly important meeting.
Upon entering the room, I bowed to King Tarin.

"You wanted to see me, Your Majesty?"

"Yes...you told me that you had kept it 'strictly business' with Clarissa, is that correct?"

"Yes Your Majesty"

"Well, she now has no memory of you. Beforehand, I did ask what she thought of you. She told me just how 'attached' you were."

"Your Majesty, I can expla- "

"There will be no need. I asked her what she thought would be fair punishment to a lying solider, and she told me 'demote him, shame him.' So I shall. You are being demoted, Robert. Your new post will be in the northern fields, watching for beasts in the forest, making sure the livestock remains that way."

I stared at the floor sullenly.

"Yes, Your Majesty."

"You are dismissed."

I spun on my heel and left the room.
Clarissa... How could she!
No, how could I?
Why couldn't I keep it in my stupid head that she's engaged!!
And now... it's like we never met...
You're such and idiot Robert...

I headed for the obstacle course training area outside the palace.
Building up speed, I took off as soon as my feet hit the grass.
I was furious at the demotion, but I did as I was told.
I landed in the Northern field, full of tall grass and various forms of livestock.
I had been sent to turn Clarissa because the King trusted me, and now I would spend my days in this dark field until I regained that trust.
I laid out on the grass, staring up at the cloudy purple sky, wishing to disappear.