Chapter Twenty Four

Pain.

So much pain.

Without the crystal, there was nothing barricading the molten knives from stabbing themselves into Hordak's soul. He was barely alive. Unlike his crash to Etheria, several of his bones had actually fractured and broke. It was impossible to breath under the colossal machine.  Only his head, chest, and arms were out from underneath.

I've failed... I've failed... I've failed. That was all that went through Hordak's mind. Catra had defeated him once and for all. His empire was gone, now in the hands of the most insane person on Etheria. 

The shard of memory containing the smiling Princess was frozen behind his eyes. He could not get rid of it, nor did he want to. He wanted to remember her, to avenge her death, but he was too weak. It wouldn't be long before her memory blurred like so many others before her.

Hordak trembled. I'm sorry Entrapta. I'm so sorry.

Out of the corner of his eye, Hordak saw a new figure enter through the door. It was none other than Adora. Hordak could only gather bits and pieces, but he knew soon enough that it was really Double Trouble.

"... Nothing personal darling..."

"... Always choose the winning side..."

"... The Rebels have some sort of ancient super weapon..."

"Everything you've worked for will be destroyed."

Hordak's fists clenched. Of course Double Trouble wouldn't come to the Horde on their own. They were a mercenary, a fake. They spilled the Horde's plans. The actor was easily swayed to the side of the Rebels when bribed with money. Double Trouble bowed and sashayed away from the Fright Zone for good.  

Not only was his empire not his.  It was gone now... for good.

At this point, it took all of Hordak's strength to breathe. Much longer of this, and he'd have to force his body to shut down entirely to conserve energy. One thought kept him awake.

Horde Prime.

Horde Prime was coming to Etheria soon. It couldn't be long now.

I'm not weak, he thought, gritting his teeth. I am not a defect. I am Hordak, and Prime will see that I am worthy.

He was vaguely aware of the presence of Queen Glimmer. She didn't give him so much as a second glance, focusing on Catra.

"Looks like you wanted my attention all for yourself," she mused. With her, she carried a deep purple staff.

Hordak squeezed his eyes shut, wishing to unsee the weapon. Her father's weapon. The last one he carried before... He shut the thought down before it could finish.

"Your troops are gone. You're all alone," Glimmer seethed. Her purple and pink hair glittered in the dim lighting. "You've lost."

The tip of the staff began to glow.

Catra slumped down to the floor, not even bothering to look up. She hadn't moved since Double Trouble announced their betrayal.

"What are you waiting for?" she wheezed. "Do it."

The queen stepped back. She lowered her staff.

After the moment of silence, Catra whispered, "Looks like we're both alone, Sparkles."

The queen sucked in a breath. Glimmer cried out in pain. Hugging her shoulders, she collapsed to the floor, panting. Hordak raised his head to see magical runes spread across her arms and face.