Chapter Fourteen: Into The Woods.

"Next— Mary Cattermole."

Mel couldn't believe how lucky they were with the timing. Harry's grip on his friend tightened and dragged Ron along. The woman turned around at the sound of steps and let out a cry of relief, Ron rushed over clumsily and grabbed her hand, both of them entering the room. Mel and Harry walked in behind them.

The dementors were seated in distant corners, their auras were strong enough to affect the whole room. She spotted Umbridge and Yaxley seated side by side. Hermione was one level under them, a cat Patronus was calmly walking up and down the place, bright and energetic. That one was Umbridge's, it repulsed her to know she probably wasn't even trying that hard to conjure it, she'd always loved to torture the 'ill-blooded'.

"Sit down," Umbridge said softly, she took one look at Harry and smiled. "Thank you for bringing them in, Runcorn. I'll let you speak as soon as we finish this woman's questioning."

Harry growled as a response, something that appeared to be normal enough for Umbridge and Yaxley. Mrs Cattermole and Ron sat together, poor Ron was trembling from head to toe. As soon as the woman next to him sat, chains bounded her to the chair. Ron let out a loud curse, but he didn't move away.

"You are Mary Elizabeth Cattermole?" asked Umbridge, unbothered by the situation.

Mel quietly made her way towards Hermione, trying to find a way to get to her without making the wood creak.

"Mother to Maisie, Ellie, and Alfred Cattermole?" 

"They're frightened, they think I might not come home—" 

"Spare us," Yaxley hissed. "The brats of Mudbloods do not stir our sympathies."

Her fist tightened around her wand but she kept a clear head, she had a goal. The young Dumbledore finally reached the seat behind Hermione and cast the muffliato spell towards the adults, then she whispered.

"Sorry we're late," Hermione gave a start, but she composed herself quickly. "We've got a new plan..."

"A wand was taken from you upon your arrival at the Ministry today, Mrs Cattermole," Umbridge continued, unaware of the hurried whispers in which Mel was explaining everything to Hermione. "Eight-and-three-quarter inches, cherry, unicorn-hair core. Do you recognize that description? Could you please tell us from which witch or wizard you took that wand?"

"What?" She stopped, taken aback by the question. "Is that what they're claiming muggle-borns are do—"

"Mel, focus!" Hermione hissed.

"I didn't t-take it from anybody. I b-bought it when I was eleven years old. It—it—it—chose me."

When Umbridge let out her hideous little chuckle, she moved forward, causing the golden locket on her chest to swing. Both girls gasped at the sight, Harry visibly tensed.

"No, I don't think so, Mrs Cattermole. Wands only choose witches or wizards. You are not a witch. I have your responses to the questionnaire that was sent to you here— Mafalda, pass them to me."

Hermione's hands were quick to respond even though she had no idea of what she was doing. She passed the papers to Umbridge and took her chance.

"That's— that's pretty, Dolores," She pointed at the locket with a trembling hand.

"What? Oh yes— an old family heirloom. The S stands for Selwyn... I am related to the Selwyns. Indeed, there are few pureblood families to whom I am not related... A pity that the same cannot be said for you," She looked down at the questionnaire. "'Parents professions: greengrocers.'"