Prologue

made a differently-designed book cover for this story (can't be bothered to make one for my other books tho lmfao)——————————┊┊┊┊ ➶ ❁۪ 。˚  ✧┊┊┊✧ ⁺    ⁺  °┊┊❁ཻུ۪۪♡ ͎

——————————
┊┊┊┊ ➶ ❁۪ 。˚  ✧
┊┊┊✧ ⁺    ⁺  °
┊┊❁ཻུ۪۪♡ ͎. 。˚    °
┊┊.
┊ ➶ 。˚    °
*.           *    ·

"Doctor Hwang!" exclaimed a reporter.

"Over here!" Another one of them cried, shining their camera's blazing light in her face. She winced a little, but maintained her grin, her eyes were as confident as ever.

Another roared, shoving a medium-sized microphone in front of her face, "Doctor Hwang, how does it feel to be named best doctor of the year eight times in a row?!"

Yeji fought the impulse to scream and order them to leave her alone because she needed her privacy, but with the presence of so many, her reputation was at stake.

"I'm delighted I could be of assistance in curing and delivering healthcare," she said with a confident smile.

When Yeji was 16 years old, she didn't particularly enjoy being among large groups of people, nor could she have ever dreamed that three decades later, she would be surrounded by reporters who would aggressively invade her personal space and ask her questions continuously.

Yeji shoved her way through the reporters, who swiftly followed suit. It seemed as though a tidal wave of people slammed against her and pushed her about. She took one large deep breath as she saw her car (which was driven by her personal chauffeur) pulling up in front of the hospital lobby. As Yeji reached her hand to grasp the door handle to the passenger seat, a reporter, who seemed calmer and quieter than the rest, retorted a question.

"Doctor Hwang, what inspired you to become a doctor?"

"I have a passion for my work," she said with a shrug. "I like to help people."

That was a lie made by not giving the question much thought. She walked into her car, quickly locking the door behind her and leaning back against the comfortable leather seat. The car started moving, and ironically enough, it began to rain.

The sky was a mixture of dark serenity and was embodied with stars equally bright. The softness lulled the body and mind to sleep, allowing the heart to return to its regular beat. The watery alphabet of the clouds sings upon the car roof outside the window, generating trickling tones that just might lull anyone to sleep. Night arrived as a sort of treat for most people, a sense of restfulness overhead to soothe the spirit. But it was nothing but anguish for her.

She pondered the matter as she sat back and watched raindrops dash against the glass. How did she become a doctor? As far as she remembered, the woman never really liked school, nor did she care. She didn't have a lot friends, nor does she have the grades to pass medical school. It wasn't uncommon for her not to not show up to class. She sat at the back of the classroom, yet her chair was always empty. Why bother showing up to such a hellhole of a place?