Mars

My name is Mars. I don't know what my parents were thinking. I really don't. I grew up with that name and people always asked about it. It's just my name. Everyone will just have to accept that and move along. Maybe I think your name is stupid.

Sorry, my friend just told me that was mean. Sorry, I'm sure that your name is great. So, I'm Mars and I babble. I will try to keep that to a minimum in our story.

I had a last name once but I have since become someone else and now I'm just Mars. Well, I'm Mars and Whyk (Wick). I didn't choose that spelling, he did. He's a werewolf so you'll have to excuse his silliness.

I was a normal seventeen year old, that was two years ago. I'm no longer normal. I don't like thinking about that now. I try to live in the now. Isn't that the phrase? Well, I'm in the now. It's how I survive. Excuse me, how we survive.

Now, we run one all fours, stand on two, eat wild animals that we kill, or Whyk kills. I don't do the hunting.

I never read a whole lot before but I was pretty sure that I wasn't human anymore. I can see my reflection in water when I get a drink and Whyk agreed. I'm a werewolf. It's not as cool as it sounds.

We're stuck.

I can't shift back to my human form. Whyk said it was possible but we have no idea how. So, we are two in one body. Mars and Whyk. We're a very pretty strawberry blonde beast. I don't know how else to describe us.

We stand on two feet and run on four. I think that's for balance. I do know that we are not a wolf, in the normal sense of the word. Nothing wolf-like about us. We are beast-like. We have an almost lion-like face with whiskers. Our body is slim but muscular. Our feet are furry and large with sharp claws. Our hands are longer than our feet and more flexible and we have opposable thumbs.

My strawberry blonde color is the perfect camouflage. I don't know how but it is. I can hide from anything. We stay in forests and protected wooded areas as much as we can and stay out of trouble.

My were, Whyk, is my friend, my protector and my werewolf. He's helped me survive although he's not always brave. I'd be dead without him.

Whyk keeps me safe. His instincts are sharp. He's funny too and he always has great stories about werewolves. He taught me about werewolves: packs, alphas, betas, gammas and omegas.

He told me that we are Weres, pronounced like the word Where. He says that because we're not wolves, we are werewolves. Totally different animals.

We are what Whyk calls a rogue. A loner. We dream of having an alpha and a pack. We dream but it's too late for us and I'll explain because Whyk just complained about how confusing that statement was for outsiders.

When a person is bitten not everyone turns and it doesn't happen very often. Werewolves stay away from humans for the most part and try to stay hidden and undiscovered so a werewolf bite is rare. Most people just heal and things are normal. Or they die depending on how bad the bite is.

I was lucky. (Note the sarcasm.)

So, when I was bitten, I was special and chosen to be fused with a werewolf spirit. I doubt that Whyk even understands how people are chosen. I should have died but Whyk was my savior and my friend.

I had until the full moon to find my pack. That was one day for me, like twelve hours and I didn't know that at the time. Whyk told me later. He hates delivering bad news so he waited.

This means that I missed my very small window, so no pack. Although, there are rules about that also.

If we are lucky enough to find our mate, we can be accepted into a pack. Whyk said he's been searching for his beloved for a very long time and I mean three hundred years so...I'm not holding out any hope of that happening, ya know.

I heard Whyk's voice the first time and tried to run from him. He called me an idiot. He scared the shit out of me. I mean one minute I'm alone and scared and the next there is a disembodied voice talking to me. I was scared out of my mind.

By the second full moon, I figured it out. Whyk said that we could take human form but neither of us knows how. It's up to the human side to change from the were form and I have no idea.

So for two years, we have been in werewolf form, full moon or not.

Whyk calls us were. He's wise. I know that and I have come to trust him with my life. Our life. I also have no one else.

We are currently in an unknown forest. I don't know where. Whyk led us here during the full moon two nights ago. I was sleeping as he ran amok.

I was used to waking up in weird places. Caves, high cliffs, trees and holes. He loves to surprise me.

Twenty-five full moons and we're still in were form. Whyk tells time by full moons so here we are. Two years or twenty-five full moons later.

The last moon was a super moon. It was beautiful. We are currently eating leftover deer that Whyk killed. He said a prayer of thanks to his two favorite goddesses and we feasted.

His favorites are Tsunami, Goddess of the moon and Kyra Goddess of Honor, if you were curious. I was so I asked.

I'm not sure I believe in all of that stuff but...Whyk does and I don't want to diminish his beliefs. Who was I to judge what was real or right? Nope. I was just a lowly human stuck inside a werewolf. My reality has evolved.

Whyk said that I changed a lot from when we first met and he was right. I never thought much about gods or goddesses. I mean we went to church but...I never really had my own beliefs. My world revolved around football and parties. I was seventeen and selfish. Things have changed and I changed with them.

A/N: Thanks for reading and excuse any errors, which I'm sure are a few. Vote and comment all you want! This is a fun story that I loved and I'm sad that I finished it. I love reading it and I hope you do too!