The Beta

Here we are eating deer right off the bone and I shivered. I prefer cooked meat and Whyk loves his raw. I let him eat as I sat in the corner and tried to disconnect until he was finished.

I'll explain that while Whyk eats. When I say corner, I mean I slide back into our mind. We pick a place and stay there. We can disconnect from the other if we want. I prefer to when he's eating. I hate the smell of fresh blood and the feel of raw meat in my mouth. I allow Whyk to have control as I wait.

I guess it's not complete control because I am listening for weird sounds in the woods as he's eating. We're a team.

We try to use everything from the deer and keep the extra meat in the freezing river to keep it cold. Whyk loves to chew on bones. He also loves to swim and I hate it. Okay, hates a strong word but I just don't swim. We don't have a lot in common but we're friends.

Whyk was chewing on a large strip of meat when we heard them, a hunting group. Other weres. Damn. I was already in the background so I let Whyk take over and we ran to the river, downstream and away. I could feel our heart beating faster.

Something was on our tail. Coming at us faster than we were running. We both started to panic.

"Whyk, speed up!" I yelled in our head. I took control because Whyk wasn't good in a crisis. He was a leader but not a fighter. We slid to a stop and I crawled under a bush. It was large enough to hide in. I laid down and froze, hoping no one saw us.

I closed my eyes and said a prayer. I'm not sure to who but I prayed. Whyk was a believer in the goddess of the moon Tsunami for help. I wasn't but I prayed to her anyway. We were now depending on our camouflage.

I held my breath but our heartbeat was pounding.

"Fuck!" Whyk was out of control and freaking out. When he panics, he curses a lot. Sailors and rappers would blush. (I used to love rap music by the way.) Shit, they could take lessons from Whyk when it came to cursing.

"Easy, Whyk." I tried to help him. He just kept cursing but I'm not adding that in because it was a lot and no one needs to hear that.

I heard foot falls close. The sound was closer. Too close. Whyk wanted to run but I wouldn't let him. We couldn't move or they would have us for sure. The stranger was close and spoke as I heard him sit down by our bush.

"This was a stupid hiding spot, Mars!" Whyk was anger now. We were both shaking.

"Come on out." The voice sounded calm. The voice almost demanded but also could be a casual conversation. It was strange.

Whyk cursed a lot. "It's a Beta!" He almost cried.

"I'm a beta and you will do as I say. Come out!" The Beta were demanded. A little angrier.

I knew from Whyk's stories that the beta was the alpha's second. He was also in command. He was to be obeyed by any were, pack or rogue. Us included. We slowly crawled out. I had to follow his orders. We obeyed.

We were pressed to the ground by an unknown were and we didn't look up as someone grabbed us by the neck and hoisted us up. Our feet were off the ground so this werewolf was tall. Whyk warned me not to move an inch now. We weren't getting away now and he growled at me. I fucked up.

"Good. Now, why are you killing humans?" The beta had us.

Whyk freaked and I answered. "No, not us!" That took everything I had. I hadn't talked in two years. That killed my throat. When Whyk and I talked, it was in our head. We never talked out loud. "Don't see humans! We never..." I had tears.

The beta growled. "Lies!"

I shook my head. We were forced to go with the beta to who knows where. Another were, he was auburn in color, he had our deer. "Sir, I found this in the river."

The beta watched us.

"Sir, why would he need this if he feasted on humans. And he doesn't have a human scent." The auburn were stated as he smelled our neck.

He was defending us. I liked him. He would later become one of the weres that guard me. Just so you know, his name is Alabama.

"We'll talk with Hope. Take him." The beta demanded. We were carried by the were I couldn't see and traveled for a couple hundred miles like a little kitten carried by its mother. It's adorable when it's a kitten but when you're a werewolf, it's not cute. 

Enjoy, Vote and Comment