Not Gone After All

Hope had just been a figment of imagination as the Gladers sat in the helicopter, weighing it down with their heavy hearts. Everyone was crushed, all for different reasons, yet for the same reason at the same time. No one could deny how much guilt they felt for losing Y/N so soon after her return.

They'd watched Gally fall apart and lose all hope. He refused to leave the Glade after losing Y/N, blaming Thomas for everything going wrong. It was like he was out of his mind, being controlled by someone or something. Then, mere seconds from being picked up by this helicopter, he shot Chuck. He was clearly stung, but it didn't make it any better. Minho sent that spear into his chest and they left him there.

Knowing that they were unable to find Y/N, or any sign of her for that matter, while escaping the maze tugged at their hearts. They weren't sure what happened to her, but now they could assume the worst. She was gone. They had no idea where they were going, so even if she was still out there, how would they find her?

Y/N was unfortunately very aware that her friends were never going to be able to find her. After dropping through the ground in the maze with that griever, she was met with people in white lab coats, guards with guns, one man in particular with a grotesque smile on his face.

"Y/N," He smirked and immediately Y/N hated him. "Nice of you to finally show up. Mind having a word with me?"

"I don't think I have a choice, do I?" She sneered.

The man wrinkled his nose and nod to the guards at his side to seize her. Wherever Y/N was, she knew she wasn't in for anything good in particular. She had information she now figured she wasn't supposed to have.

Those guards who had picked her up off the the ground and shoved her through halls with dim, flickering florescent lights forced her down into a chair. This guy, Janson, or Rat Man as Y/N saw better suited, sat across from her and clamped his hands together on the table, leaning forward.

"How did you find it?" He asked, plain faced, no extra details added.

"Find what?" Y/N raised a brow. He'd at least have to make it clear what he was asking before she gave way any information that might just cause her to be in a worse situation than she already was.

"The corridor." He sighed in building frustration.

Y/N stifled a laugh and shift in her seat. "Ah, luck I guess."

"Don't lie to me." Rat Man lift his chin and immediately one of the guards stepped closer to Y/N and raised his gun to her. Y/N knew those weapons weren't made to kill, but she didn't exactly want to be shot. She looked to the gun, then to Janson and tilt her head. A small smile crossed her features. She just figured everything out. It all made sense now.

"Do you think we're stupid?" She asked. "You're the same people who sent us into the maze, aren't you?"

"How did you find it?" He asked again more firmly, ignoring her question. That told Y/N everything she needed to know. His silence was an answer in itself. They were the ones who sent them into the maze. She had found a way out. They had to stop her.

"I had a dream once, aside from the other ones you put in my head about my friends dying. I dreamt about going into the maze and finding that wall and where to put the knife. So I went. And to my surprise, it was real. It's almost like I had been there before. Maybe that I was once the one building it before you stole my memories." She explained, leaning back in her chair.

"You built it alright, you and your friends. Before we sent you all into the maze, taking your memories, you were the ones to build the maze." Rat Man traced his fingers over the metal table. "I guess a couple of you went behind our backs, building your own little escape route. How those memories survived the wipe, I don't know. But you seem to be the only one."