Maybe I Was Wrong

Y/N leaned back and held her abdomen. She winced but forced in a deep breath, trying to keep herself awake while someone applied bandages to her head. Did she even know she was injured in the first place? Definitely not. Did it make sense because she was so dizzy? Yes.

"This was all I could find," Gally lowered himself to the floor and leaned Y/N forwards gently, throwing a coat over her shoulders.

"Thank you," She groaned. "I didn't even ask for anything."

"Yeah but you were shivering," Gally sighed, pressing his hands to his face in attempt to relieve some kind of tension. He seemed to sink into his frame as he sat, looking to the girl. Both were lacking any ability to speak. After everything that had just happened, their minds were rotting with expired adrenaline.

"I'm so sorry." Gally finally coughed up.

Y/N tilt her head slightly and furrowed her brows in confusion. Gally was here and had been a massive part of the reason they were now free from WICKED. Why he seemed so ridden with guilt, Y/N couldn't fully understand. "What for?"

"For leaving you with WICKED for six months," He admit, rubbing his hands over his knees anxiously. "The entire time, I was in and out of the city. I knew WICKED had you but I couldn't do anything..." He winced. "I just had to sit there and watch."

The girl reached forward slowly and grabbed his hand. "It's okay. If I'm being honest, I thought you were dead that entire time. If you came into the building to break me out, I would have just thought it was one of their simulations." She smiled sadly. "Minho told me what happened. And yet? You're here?"

"Yeah. Listen, he's got a good throw with a spear. But it wasn't enough to take me out." Gally smiled a little. "Some guys from the city picked me up and brought me in, patched me up. They told me you were alive and so I stayed, waiting until Thomas and the others showed up."

Y/N was silent and Gally wasn't quite sure what that meant. "I'm sure Minho also told you about Chuck." He now was beginning to wholly fear she hated him. Gally felt his own body seemingly closing in on itself, stiffening up.

"Yeah," Y/N nod. "WICKED proves itself once again to be wholly malicious. That wasn't you, Gally. You were being controlled."

"Thanks," He lift the hand that held his to his face and rest against it. "For not hating me."

The girl smiled softly. That statement took her back right to the Glade so long ago when she'd said the exact same thing to him. "Why couldn't anyone give us the truth? We were always thinking the other was dead with twisted stories." She laughed.

"Hence why I'm really hoping this is real," Gally muttered as he moved to sit beside her. Someone handed him a few first-aid supplies and he thanked them. He must have asked for them a little while ago.

"Oh, I can tell you it is." Y/N confirmed. "I didn't think it was possible to feel this dead."

"Well, you have been a lab rat for six months." Gally gently reached for Y/N's hand and draped it over his legs. Gingerly, he worked away at the open wounds on her hands that she had failed to even realize were there. "I was going to come find you. But I got wrapped up in mess after mess and got shoved onto the berg here before I could run back inside the building. I didn't think we were going to get you out."

Y/N scanned Gally's distraught face as he spoke. She didn't respond in anyway, feeling that he still had something else to say. "...and then you show up, dragging everyone to the roof." He let out a small laugh of disbelief. "Being the same doughty shank you always were. Newt's going to be okay because of you."

"It wasn't just me," Y/N defected. "I helped get him upstairs, that's it. Teresa saved him."

"And if you two hand't done what you did, he wouldn't be here." Gally leaned back a little so Y/N could look around him. Newt sat there, a few metres away, with Thomas who was now unconscious due to his bullet wound. Most signs that he was infected with the flare were gone. His eyes were clear and the dark protruding veins were fading away.

"I'm sorry if I scared you," Y/N lowered her head and once again let the wall behind support her weight. After she'd said it she felt Gally's grip on her hand get tighter. "I wouldn't—"

"You wouldn't be able to live with yourself if you knew deep down you didn't do everything you could to save everyone?" He raised a brow, glancing at her. It was almost as if he were saying 'it's almost like I know you, huh?'

The girl sighed. "Yeah." Even though she still had done everything she could have to save everyone, they still lost Teresa.

"I know. Me too." He pursed his lips and set down his first-aid supplies. All he could do to help Y/N and her immediate surface wounds was done. Now, they just had to wait things out on this berg.

Gally situated himself right beside Y/N, leaning back into the less than comfortable wall. He leaned his head back while some kind of foreign anxiety fought for control of his heart. For a quick moment, he looked down at Y/N at his side and then he let his eyes fall away. He knew why he was feeling so unsettled all the sudden.

"I don't know the last time I told you, if I even ever did,' He mumbled out hesitantly. "But I love you. Whatever that might mean right now doesn't matter because I know a lot has changed. But I do love you.'

Y/N was quiet for a moment and then it seemed her shoulders relaxed. "Well, aside from the fact that you've got one less lung, I don't think things have changed at all."

Gally was taken aback about how smoothly that just had all gone over. He figured the world might just end if he ever said those words, but nothing too bad seemed to have happened. "I just thought—six months. That you might have met someone else, since you know, you thought I was gone."

Y/N almost laughed. "Gally in those six months the only faces I saw were the doctors and Minho. Even though I thought you were gone..." The girl looked to Gally, caught his eyes for a brief moment then looked away. "You were the only person I really thought about anyways."

The former builder seemed frozen and flustered, too much so to speak. So, Y/N continued. "...and if you think I'd just move on like that? I don't think I could, Gally. If it's not you...I don't know."

Gally felt that deep inside of him. He then understood that there was much more that tied them together than just experience. A deep held belief Gally always had was that once, if they ever, got out of the maze, that it wasn't going to be long before Y/N found someone better than him. The only reason, he thought at the time, that they were so close was because they were thrown together in a stone box together for as long as they could remember. He thought it was because he just so happened to be the one she was closest with in the Glade, and that was really it.

But oh how wrong he'd been. In a way, he was embarrassed by himself for even thinking like that. It was possible for someone to love him fully and honestly, regardless of where they were or the amount of people that surrounded them. He knew now that she would look for him in a room full of people in the same way he would.