August Is Over

Say a prayer

The summer nights are dead

The fall is coming

We were careless hearts

Who got caught up in this

Phil flipped his pillow over to the cool side and put his head back down. It was surely past one in the morning now. After Dan left, Phil sat on his empty mattress until all of the other campers came back from dinner. Steven pulled Phil outside to talk about what happened, but he didn't want to talk about it. He just told him that he was fine.

You were shy

Til the night you drove me wild

And you crashed into me

And I won't lie

I wish it lasted a lifetime

Phil heard the breeze from outside. He thought of that first night when he heard Dan get up. The older one had secretly fallen for the younger one the first time that he smiled. And then, seeing Dan look at him, Phil knew that he liked him too. So when he had the chance, he'd asked the other camper if he wanted to go on a walk. He remembered how Dan tensed when Phil touched him.

Please stay

Won't you stay

Tonight

Phil knew that Dan's mum was fake. The way that she spoke to her son was sugar-coated and far too sweet. But when she found out the truth, that was the real her. She was strict, unsupportive, and it was evident that she wasn't an understanding person. Phil knew better than to tell her that he was dating her son, but it was so hard, keeping his hands off of him all day.

Breathe in deep

And say goodbye

The saddest song

I'll ever write

For anyone, anytime

Keeping friendships throughout the fall, winter, and spring was difficult. The friends that people made at camp were typically just summer friends. They were the people who hung out at camp activities, but didn't make any effort to contact each other through the other seasons.

Breathe in deep

Before I say

I can feel us slip away

You're almost gone

You're good as gone

August is over

He didn't want to be a summer friend with Dan. What were they now? Broken up? On a break? In a long distance relationship? Phil didn't know. He wasn't good with distance. He couldn't stand the idea of not being able to cuddle or kiss Dan for a whole year.

Now we wait

Cause August had to end

All our bags are packed

Just two broken hearts

That got caught up in this

Phil sat up. There was no way that he was sleeping.

I deny

That tomorrow you'll be gone

And so far from me

It's something strange

Never love the same way

He got up, put on his hoodie and shoes. He couldn't stay in his bed, tossing and turning anymore. He needed some fresh air. He walked along the trail in front of the lake, wishing that Dan was there with him.

We can try to drown it out

But it never stops breathing

We can take it all in

But it never slows down

We've come down from that cloud

The male looked down at the water, wanting nothing more than to stop missing him. All of a sudden, Phil jumped as arms were wrapped around his waist. He turned around to see Dan hugging him from behind, looking disheveled.

"Dan!" Phil cried, turning around and pulling him into his embrace. Was he real? Was this real? Was he dreaming?

Breathe in deep

And say goodbye

The saddest song I'll ever write

For anyone, anytime

"I'm crazy, Phil. I jumped out of the car at a stop sign. I took a train out here and then walked the rest of the way," Dan explained, slightly out of breath and grinning down at Phil.

The older one smiled, his face illuminated by the moonlight. "You're crazy. Why did you come back?" he asked.

"I missed you too much," Dan replied. He pulled Phil's face to his and kissed him. "My mum probably has police looking all over for me," he whispered. "She keeps calling. There's no doubt that she's going to come here looking for me tomorrow. But you know, what the hell? Whatever happens, we've got right now."

Breathe in deep

Before I say

I can feel us slip away

You're almost gone

You're good as gone

August is over

We're not the reason

August is over

___________________

Thanks for the response on the last chapter! Due to popular demand, I updated early! :D Let me explain some things. This chapter is called "August is Over," not because August is really over in the story, but because it was based off of the song August is Over by We The Kings. The song fits the story and chapter perfectly. I suggest listening to it. :D More coming soon! x