Part 10

Bonnie and Damon were walking around Rome, enjoying the amazing atmosphere, looking at ancient, architectonically interesting buildings, had a filling meal in a lovely restaurant, threw a coin into Fontana di Trevi (and kept their wishes from each other), and finally ate ice cream at the Spanish Steps. Damon made Bonnie switch off her phone because she wanted to take pictures of everything, and she agreed under one condition - he had to do the same. In the end, it was a great day without their phones, and instead of pictures posted on Instagram, pictures of memories and experiences were created directly in their brains. 
In the evening, they got accommodated in a luxurious hotel with a touch of vintage elegance (the ability of compelling people really came in handy). Their suite had two bedrooms, a bathroom, and the main room with a fireplace similar to the one the Salvatores had in their house. Damon lit up the fire and moved the wood in the fireplace a bit with a poker. For a while, he stared into the flames nostalgically, and then he fished his phone out of his pocket with his free hand in order to check whether anyone had tried to get hold of him.
He had plenty of missed calls from Stefan, Alaric, and even Caroline. But what took him aback was that Elena had called him several times too. And then he even found a voice message from her. She sounded a little agitated, a bit angry, and above all fairly disappointed. Damon didn't really understand what she was talking about; the only thing he got was that she was sorry how fast he had replaced her.
'Bonnie!' he shouted at Bon Bon, who was in the bathroom and was just getting out of the bath.
'I'll be right there!' she shouted back in response, put on a nightdress and a dressing gown and hurried to Damon. He had a devastated expression on his face.
'Elena called me,' he informed her.
'Oh my God,' Bonnie panted. 'And what did she say?'
'She was surprised that I had got over her so fast,' replied Damon.
'Ooops,' slipped out of Bonnie's mouth.
Damon sharpened his senses. 'What did you do, Bon Bon?'
Bonnie sighed guiltily. 'Nothing, I just... That silly hashtag. She must have misinterpreted it. I'll tell her it was just a  joke.'
'You'd better do that.' Damon shook his head, put down the poker and went to bed, even though it wasn't even dark outside yet.