Part 5

After breakfast, Damon announced that he needed to buy some food and that he was about to head to the local supermarket. Bonnie offered that she would go with him. Somehow, she didn't want to leave his company. There wasn't anyone waiting for her at home anyway, and there was no one waiting for her at the dormitory either because Elena had left and Caroline was fooling around with Stefan all the time and she barely had a moment to spare with Bonnie. She actually had no one but Damon.
In the supermarket, she asked him: 'Isn't it a paradox that we spent so much time together like this when we were trapped in 1994, and now that we're out and we can be anywhere we want, with anyone we want, we're still here again, together?'
Damon looked at her through the sunglasses they had both put on for fun. 'It's crazy. I thought that when I'd get out of there, I'd never leave Elena's side.'
Using all her energy, Bonnie covered up a sigh. 'I guess it was supposed to end up that way,' she shrugged.
Damon shook his head and threw a bottle of bourbon into the trolley. 'It wasn't. But let's change the subject. What would you like to eat? Lunch is on me.'
That cheered Bonnie up. 'Yaaay, I'll take that!'
'You'd be insane if you didn't. After all, I'm the best cook in town,' Damon winked at her conspiratorially, even though it couldn't be seen behind the sunglasses.