Part 22

Bonnie was sitting on the plane, looking into the dark night behind the window, asking herself whether it was darker than her life right now; she reached the conclusion that it wasn't. After that, she burst into tears, and finally, she fell asleep. At first, she dreamt about Jeremy, hitting it off with that dumb, plastic Ruth, and then it changed into Elena forgiving Damon and Damon on one knee, proposing to her, while Bonnie is standing nearby and ripping her hair out until she's completely bald. Then she woke up with a scream, which was embarrassing because she obviously wasn't alone on the plane. She wiped the sweat off her forehead and tried to look inconspicuous. Fortunately, they were about to land, so she didn't have to feel ashamed for too long. She felt relief when the plane touched the ground and she could finally unbuckle herself and disappear.
When she got off the plane and dragged her bag down the stairs, she tripped and landed... right in Damon's arms.
'Careful, Bon Bon,' he reprimanded her jokingly, and he helped her with the bag.
'What are you doing here?' she blurted and she stepped aside so that other people rushing out of the plane could get through. 
'Don't you know that the most flawless romantic scenes always take place at the airport?' he flashed her something between a smile and a grimace, looking so charming it made Bonnie stumble again. Luckily, he caught her in time and held her longer this time as if he never intended to let her go. He was looking into her eyes from which he could tell she had been crying only a few hours before. 'Everything's OK now,' he said in a calming voice.
'Why are you here?'
'Because I've spent my whole life making mistakes. And not coming here to you would have been another. And I don't want to make mistakes anymore,' he replied very honestly.
'But how did you know I'd be here?' Bonnie was confused.
'It was clear that you'd come back home. All I could do was come here and wait.'
'So you've been waiting for me here,' Bonnie repeated, paralysed.
'Yes, I have,' he nodded in confirmation. 'For you, Bonnie Bennett.'
She was so blown away that she couldn't even say a word.