Chapter Twenty-Six: A Gala

"Do you ever look at all the alien species around you and wonder why they are mostly bi-pedal, carbon based, life forms?" I asked Ben. I looked around at all the species around us, dancing on the white stones floors. I leaned back the wall that had been decorated with a velvet-like paper and something that wasn't gold leaf but shone the same way.

"Literally all the time," he answered. "Like, I shouldn't exist but two bi-pedal, carbon based, life forms genetic material combined and then bam, me." This answer was quickly followed up by, "Oh, shit. I'm drunk." I looked up Ben's face. His lilac eyes were wide behind his simple black mask.

"Yeah, seems a bit like you're drunk," I said. I looked around a little confused. I pulled his drink to me and took a whiff. The immediate burning sensation of alcohol hit my throat. I dipped a finger in and tasted a single drop. It tasted like the Grenorian Juice he had ordered, but shit if there wasn't a lot of alcohol in it by smell.

"Well, bad news, you've been dosed with something," I said and dumped his drink into the plant behind me. I typed a quick note into the com on my wrist and asked Grey to escort the Captain to the restroom and try to sober him up.

I scanned the room and lowly asked, "Any idea who, how or why?"

"Nope," Ben answered with a pop in the p. "We both watched the drinks being made. And the only odd thing that I've seen this evening is how beautiful you look tonight." My cheeks went bright red under the mask. Ben, on the other hand, paled rapidly.

"I did not mean to say that outloud," he whispered and rubbed the back of his neck with a hand.

"Uh huh, but, uh, you were thinking it and thank you, that's really nice," I whispered back awkwardly. I grabbed his hand for cover and took his pulse. It was slow. I saw Greyeenung's shadow before I saw him.

"I think it's some sort of truth drug," I said.

"Oh it is, well spotted," Kuzzon said. So that shadow had not been Grey's.

"Ah Fuck, not you again," I said back.

"Hello brother, how are you?" Kuzzon asked.

"Drunk, embarrassed, losing my respect as a Captain by the minute," Ben confessed and then closed his eyes.

"You've never had my respect as a Captain," I joked and moved so I was between the two aliens. Where the hell was Grey? Kuzzon wasn't wearing a mask. His silver hair was slicked back from his face and he was dressed simply in a black jacket and white turtle neck. There was a shimmery blue scarf draped over the jacket to add a little color. Now that I was looking between the half-brothers I see that they had the same hair and jaw lines. It was a little disconcerting.

"No reason to get protective, I just need to ask my brother a few questions," Kuzzon said. He wasn't even looking at me but over my shoulder at Ben. Why was Kuzzon here and not with the Grand Ruler like he was supposed to be?

"I don't want to talk to you," Ben said.

"Relax, it's not about your stupid, little, rebellion," Kuzzon said with a roll of his eyes. "I'm looking for a few people."

"I still don't like where this is going," Ben said. I didn't either. Kuzzon stepped forward and I put on a hand on his chest to stop him. He looked down at me confused, like he forgot that I was there.

"Which one are you, again? The sharpshooter or the fighter?" I could tell that Kuzzon didn't really care about the answer so I didn't give one.

"Couple of questions. First, will the truth serum wear off on it's own or is an antidote required?" I asked.