9. Karma Hits Hard

Hermione's POV

"Go on then!" yelled Hagrid, slapping the Hippogriff's hindquarters.

Hermione watched with bated breath as (Y/N) was pulled into the air as he rode on the back of Buckbeak. Looking up into the air, Hermione saw the unrestricted movements of Buckbeak as he flew in the air around the paddock. He circled a few times before Hermione heard the sharp whistle of Hagrid, calling Buckbeak down to the paddock.

She kept her eyes on the Hippogriff as it started slowly circling the paddock. Hagrid whistled to him once more but Buckbeak responded by screeching down towards him.

Hermione's stomach lurched as she watched Buckbeak's wings spread wide before they came crashing down, sending the Hippogriff blasting off past the paddock and out the sightline of everyone.

"Buckbeak!" yelled Hagrid, waving his arms frantically in the air to no avail. "Get back down here you ruddy animal! Buckbeak!"

Hermione's eyes widened as it truly hit her that (Y/N) was on the back of this essentially wild animal, who was now flying high in the air going God knows where. Hermione felt her breathing as she looked back to Hagrid.

"Hagrid!" she yelled in anger and fear. "Do something! Please!"

Hagrid simply looked back up into the air with horror etched on his face as he tried pitifully to call Buckbeak back again and again.

Suddenly the sound of raucous laughter came from the back of the crowd of students. Turning her head, Hermione saw Draco Malfoy and his group of Slytherins losing their heads with laughter.

"Buckbeak!" grunted Malfoy, in a poor imitation of Hagrid. "Get back here!"

"Ooh, Hagrid!" squealed Pansy Parkinson, in a crude impression of her. "Oh, do something!"

Hermione's eyes narrowed and her hand curled into a fist as she felt rage well up inside her. Her nails dug into the skin of her palm as she took a step forward to do what she stopped (Y/N) from doing and more. She was going to knock Malfoy's jaw right out of his mouth and then rip the greasy hair of Parkinson right off her head.

However she felt a hand on her shoulder and she turned to see Harry. "Hermione," he said, oddly stern. "(Y/N) wouldn't want you to do that."

"He was —"

"Exactly," said Harry, his grip on her shoulder tightening. "He was. (Y/N) wouldn't want you to go and fight Malfoy."

"No offence, Harry" she said, shrugging his hand of her shoulder. "I know (Y/N) better than you, and he definitely would want me to."

Hermione focused her attention back on the laughing Slytherins, who hadn't noticed her trying to make her way over to them, and somehow clenched her fist tighter. However, as she took one more step, the voice of Neville rang through the air as he shouted, "Look! (Y/N)'s coming back!"

Hermione looked back into the air and sure enough, Buckbeak was there circling the paddock once again. He got lower and lower until his feet hit the ground with a heavy thud. (Y/N) hopped of Buckbeak's back looking frazzled but overjoyed. He was met with whistles, cheers and claps as the class, except the group of Slytherins, rushed to the wooden fence of the paddock.

Hermione fought her way through the crowd to the very front just in time to see Hagrid clap his hands on (Y/N)'s shoulders to spin him around and pull him back.

"(Y/N)!" Hagrid yelled, shaking him. "Are you alright?"

(Y/N) offered no answer until a large smile came across his lips and he said, "Can I go again?"