The Foreigners

The small dainty lady with relatively pale skin gave Cordelia a tense smile before going into the aircraft.

Shrugging off the awkward situation Cordelia made her way to the stairs that led into the aeroplane's interior.

"Forgive me, ma'am?" a man with glowing cerulean eyes held Cordelia.

"Yes?" Cordelia spun to meet him.

She was beginning to get slightly annoyed.

For a split while, the air hostel just gazed at Cordelia, hypnotised.

"Yes?" Cordelia tried to snap him out.

"Sorry, ma'am, it's just I have never seen a beautiful black woman.", he said as though it was a compliment.

I giggled. "You mean you've never seen a beautiful woman like me."

The air hostel gave her a weird look and then ignored her.

Cordelia stayed at the spot she was even when he left. She was scared of the words he had uttered.

Never in her life had she felt insecure about her skin colour.

She wondered what made her different from a white woman or another woman of colour. She could look just like them but just with different skin colour. Why did he have to say that?

Maybe he had only dated black women?

Cordelia snapped out of her thoughts and sadly made her way over to the aeroplane.

Everyone had already walked in, so she speeded her pace so as not to miss it. However, when she was about to get on, the male air hostel from before stopped her.

"Miss?" he whispered.

Cordelia turned around, angry, at the sugar-coated insult of before.

When the air hostel saw the look on her face, he quickly picked on what had happened.

"Oh, madam, ... I didn't mean to be rude.", he said behind her.

Cordelia's face lit up.

"It's just I don't normally like well...darker women.", he said, his face red with embarrassment.

Cordelia just turned around and continued walking up the stairs; he'd just messed up a colossal apology.

The air hostel held her arm quickly.

"Please let go," a warm voice said.

"Apologies .", the air hostel said while letting go of her hand.

"Oh-thank you", Cordelia said, surprised.

But the man in sunglasses did not reply but just entered the plane.

Cordelia followed, embarrassed and angry at how things had turned out. And she wasn't even in Uk yet.