BTS x Reader - MAFIA AU

There will be many POVs in this one! It's also going to be a long chapter, it took me a while to be inspired for this one but I finally did it!

Honestly, I'm really proud of this story, it goes deep, definitely not filled with fluff, it's very different from what I usually write, but I worked really hard on it and I hope it pleases you all nonetheless even though there's not the romance I usually do. Tell me what you think when you're done please 🥺

"We'll always protect you, no matter what. We love you".

---

Today is another long day at the shop. One would think that selling shoes would be a never ending struggle for people, but where I work, they come in and leave just as fast.

Rich people don't have time to waste.

I compile the checks I was given today as payments and make sure to put every single one in the right folders, one for each customers, all of them VIPs.

The amount of contact I get with people here is close to zero and when they do talk to me, it's to complain that I'm not fast enough, but my manager knows better than to comply to them, he knows I'm one of the best here.

He likes to say that I'm suited to work for the worst mafia gangs because I know what I'm doing and I don't cower in front of intimidating people without it being any sort of defiance. I just go with the flow while also knowing my worth.

Apparently, it's rare here. Workers either submit so much to the customers' demands that they get burnouts, or they focus too much on the fact that we should all be equals and end up making the shop lose loyal customers.

I'm a perfect in between.

"You sure you didn't hang out with future mafia people when younger?" Eunwoo asks me and I shrug as I start making the inventory of what we have left.

"I'll tell you the day I remember something about my past".

He hums. "Have you ever tried seeing someone for your memory? Maybe hypnosis? Don't you want to remember?" he asks again, and again, I shrug.

"Not really. Does it really matter? If anyone knew me, they would have showed up sooner or later. No one did, I'm assuming I don't have family or friends and if that's the case, I'm better off not remembering. I'm doing well right now and that's all that matters" I tell him, watch as he offers me a tight-lipped smile.

"That's your choice, lovely. Do you want to come to our place for dinner tonight? Sanha and Jinjin have been asking me to invite you, the guys all want to spend time with you, it's been a while since the last time".

I smile and nod. "Sure, I'd love that" I tell him and his smile brightens instantly. "Great, I'll tell them! They'll be thrilled" he muses, his excitement making me chuckle.

I focus back on my task as we close up the shop, his words swirling in my mind over and over again.

As much as I try to act like I don't care, not remembering does bother me. I always have this dream, one that's filled with seven people. I feel like I know them, but I can't see any of their faces, I barely see anything.

It feels like something I would've heard before falling unconscious, the only thing that my mind has been holding onto since I woke up at the hospital. I've been trying to convince myself that it's just my imagination, a way for me to feel like I belonged somewhere, that I wasn't just abandoned like that, left to myself with absolutely nothing, but after a few years, I had to come to understand that I was probably just lying to myself.