Chapter Twenty

The morning light came spiraling through the window. Its magnificent rays brightening all around the room. Although, nothing could destroy the darkness surrounding Des as she laid in bed, her eyes staring at the ceiling. The pale white popcorn from above couldn't distract the confliction spreading in her mind. The constant battle was being fought, resulting her with no victories. Only losses.

Des remembered seeing the displeasure of her family around her. The way Kat and Shade stayed silent. Des hoped they were trying to figure a way to address to the current situation. But when they didn't say a word, not even Lucy, Des knew she damaged the trust between them.

This setback she wasn't prepared for. She had no idea the screecher was going to reveal the visions to the others. Des didn't even realize the screechers knew about the twisted images she feared every night. She didn't even know these visions were a sign of communication. Des just feared that she was going crazy. For weeks, she'd been trying to work up the nerve to talk to her Nan about the visions. Des even practiced in the mirror. But just as she built up the courage to talk to her, Des would think back to her life before the hunters. The life that was isolated with secrets and lies. A place where loneliness took over, leaving her with no one.

Not even her mother.

So, Des kept putting off the difficult task, coming up with excuses as well as reasons of not wanting to worry anyone if the visions were just a side effect. However, the visions weren't a side effect. They were the chaos and disorder Urwik wanted to introduce to the hunters. Working the distrust inside the group has been something he hadn't been able to do before.

Until now.

Des turned on her side in her bed remembering all the disarray that happened soon after the screecher brutally murdered itself. She felt like she was watching the scene unfold again. Seeing the tension and confusion spread toward them, like darkness spreading in the night.

Her father spun out of the room, leaving Monty to gaze upon the shriveled and darkened flesh. The atmosphere around her exploded with intensity as her father came bursting through the door.

Ben grabbed Des by the arm, dragging her with her feet barely able to keep up with his stride, to Elizabeth's office. Des could see the confusion and frustration lurking from his face. She saw her Nan quickly bolt through the door, hoping to calm her father before he did anything rash.

"Of all the things you hidden from me, how in the hell haven't you mentioned this to me?" Ben raged, throwing his hands up in the air. Des sat down on the small couch, her gaze avoiding her father's. "I've been trying to give you space. To give you a place in this world. And then I have to learn that you've been communicating with Urwik!"

The anger inside her heightened. Her father never gave her a place in this world. For all she knew, he wanted to hide it forever. Letting the memories of her mother and heritage disappear with the world around her. How dare he even bring up such a thing? Wanting so bad to fire back a remark, which would make things worse, Des held her tongue. Recognizing that she was wrong for hiding this development from her father, Nan, and the hunters.

Des interlaced her fingers. Her hands began to sweat, while her anxiety heightened with every breath she took. "I didn't know they were visions," Des finally replied. Breaking the silence in the room. "I thought they were dreams."

Her father let out a sound of disgust, causing him to let his fist fly into the wall behind him. He ran his hand through his hair, pulling it at the root. Des jumped, too scared to look up and see the damage before her. She'd never seen her father act like this before. Not even when her mother died. His silent and controlled demeanor was something she often admired, but now she felt like she barely knew the man.