Chapter Five

After school, Des headed towards Literature Legends; her home away from home. She was going to be working late tonight, so Griffin went to get them so food from the diner. They didn't have too much work today, so Des wanted to get started on their project as soon as possible. She also wanted to pull all the books off the shelves that mentioned Herne. All's fair in school and A's.

She also wanted to tell Griffin about the dream, or rather the nightmare in her mind. She hasn't told him much about it, only revealing small details. Griffin told her to not think much about it, and she was probably just under some stress. Although, she couldn't shake this feeling like it meant something. Des saw it as some form of communication. Her mother used to say dreams were a pathway to our reality. Although, after seeing that creepy creature, she wanted to slam the door to that particular pathway.

Permanently.

When she walked through the door, Lucy had papers scattered all over the front desk. Des could see the single vein bulging on the side of her head, meaning she was stressed about something. She was shuffling through them, flipping page after page. This wasn't like Lucy to be unprepared. Throughout Des's whole life, Lucy had been so reliable.

If she needed a Band-Aid, go see Lucy.

If she needed a drink, go to Lucy.

Heck, if Des needed someone to drag off a dead body, Lucy would most likely help her, or at least have a book about how to get rid of a body. However, that thought had only crossed her mind a moment or two.

Des strode to the desk, dropping her bag to the side.

"Are you okay Lucy?" Des asked, concerned for the woman.

"Am I ever okay?" Lucy snapped back in a livid voice, still looking at the papers.

"Okay," Des said, taking a small step back. "I'll go..."

Lucy has never acted like this before. Lucy has disciplined Des growing up, but never like this.

"Wait Des," Lucy said, waving her arm at Des, pulling her attention from the chaos and showing a small smile. "I didn't mean it like that. I just have so much to do before this meeting. And of course, no one informed me that I needed to... well never mind, confidential stuff."

"It's okay," Des replied waving her hand in the air. "I understand. Nan can be sort of cranky when these monthly meetings take place."

Lucy laughed. "Exactly, that woman is the worst of us."

"Why don't you head over there now. It's going to be slow tonight, and Griffin will be coming back any minute," Des suggested, hoping to take some pressure off the poor woman.

"I don't know," Lucy hesitated. "I don't want to leave you here by yourself."

"Go," Des said as she started piling her papers. "I'll be fine. I promise."

"Okay," Lucy said, grabbing her mountains of manuscripts. "But if it gets too crazy, call me."