Chapter Twenty-One

Des pulled another branch away from a blocked path. The worn bark and bristle texture made her fingers recoil. Griffin edged in front of her, not wanting to get smacked in the face by another branch. They had been walking in Windsor Forest for about two minutes now, which in Desiree's mind was thirty minutes too long. She felt foolish for even coming here, even after all the complaining and criticisms from Griffin.

After she texted Griffin, Shade took her back to the house, which was deserted. Thank you, dad! She left a note for her Dad and Nan stating she was going to work on her paper about the legend of Herne the hunter at Lucy's, expressing how perfectly safe it was with an Elder present and Shade as well.

So, Shade drove her to the shop, where Griffin was already inside getting more information about dark elves. When Des stepped through the door, she saw Griffin with a nervous look. He only shook his head as she drug him back to her mom's study and told him everything.

"Wait, let me get this straight," Griffin started after Des explained Urwik's message. "We are going into the dark forest where we could die, to save the girl who treats everyone, including us, like dirt."

"Yes," Des replied, sitting across from him. "I have a plan."

"Are you kidding me?" Griffin expressed. "We are going risk our lives for that ghastly being. Des, I think the stress of all this is finally getting to you. Perhaps if you lie down."

Des almost couldn't believe the words herself as she began her argument. "Stop," she answered pushing his hands away from her. She got up from the chair. "I know exactly what you're saying. There is no reason known to man on why we need to save Vicki. But-"

"There's always a but," Griffin added ironically.

"But," Des articulated, cutting off his head with cruel eyes. "The innocent lives are all under the forest's protection. Victoria had no part in this. Urwik captured her and she is now being threatened if he doesn't get what he wants. Me."

Griffin shook his head. "But is that why there are hunters?" he asked. "To do the dangerous jobs for you."

"You don't get it," Des admitted. "The hunters were created to not serve the descendants, or the forest. They were created to help keep the balance between the magical realm and mortal realm.

Des sat down and grabbed his hands. "I have to do this," she told him. "It's what my ancestors would want me to do, including my mom."

"And you're sure we can't take along some hunters for backup?" Griffin asked, his eyes full of worry.

Des shook her head. "Urwik said he would kill her if he sees any hunter with me."

Thinking just for a moment, Griffin threw his head back and took a deep breath. As he released his breath, he groaned like he was injured. "Fine. If you say we are the ones that need to help, then we must do it."

"No," Des said skeptically. "I said that I was the one that need to help her. "You aren't going anywhere. You're staying here." She rose from her chair and went to check behind the door, making sure no one was listening.