Chapter Twenty-Five

The rays of the sun danced across the meadow, revealing an untold story. The life in the forest was beginning to come back to the spirit of life. All the plants were in fresh bloom around her as the floras of green, red, blue, pink, lavender, turquoise, and colors of the world surrounded her.

Des felt Kat tug on her hair again, sending a little shot of pain down the top of her head. For the past two hours, Des had been forced to sit in front of an old antique vanity, embellished with emeralds glistening in the sun.

A grove of silver glazed trees surrounded them, providing illusions for all who make look their way. Another magical property and skill Des had learned to be thankful for. They were deeper into the forest, the farthest she has ever been. The elders told her that she needed to take place in a ceremony anointing her as Queen and Protector of the Forest. At first Des was very hesitant. She didn't want anyone looking to her for leadership, nor the responsibility of protecting the beings inside.

Although, Des finally came to terms with her role. It wasn't a burden or a curse casted upon her family. It was something far greater. Her mother wanted to make sure Des knew the role before she even thought about playing it. Queen and protector wasn't the words Des would describe as accepting the role. She thought long and hard, wanting to do good for the hunters as well as the other beings inside. In her own mind, she could call herself the warrior of the forest. No matter how many times people would refer to her as queen.

Des wanted to use this chance to fight for the creatures of the forest. She didn't want to sit around and watch them make a mockery of the forest, nor of their kind. Des wanted to use her new and unknown power to fight for the rights of the beings. She felt as though they deserved more than her past ancestors had given them, even after seeing most of the past history.

When discussing this with the Elders, her Nan asked what sparked this new idea. That's when Des told them of Orthorien, the Elf who betrayed not only his kind, but his hope in the future of the forest. Even though he killed innocent lives, Des couldn't help but feel sorry and misery for him. She saw deep down that all he wanted was a chance to be heard. A chance to voice his own opinions in a world full of politics and turmoil.

In honor of his sacrifice, Des pledged to not let any other being fall prey to Urwik's manipulated and dark ways. She would rescue them all from the darkness spreading inside and guide them toward the light.

Everyone deserves second chances.

Even Urwik himself.

"Ow!" Des hollered as Kat pulled on her hair again, this time pulling Desiree's head back with it.

"Sorry," Kat quickly apologized. "I just needed one more strand for this last flower."

Des rolled her eyes annoyed with what the woman was doing to her hair. Her Nan had instructed Kat to make Des look like a jewel hidden in the bottom of the ocean. A stone so precious that no one could see the beauty hiding within until the light struck through sand.

Kat let out a squeal of excitement, making Des begin to regret her decision soon after. For she wasn't the type of girl to wear a long elegant dress and elaborate hair styles. Instead, she would have preferred her jeans and sweater look. But Des was out voted.

So, she was a prisoner spending couple of hours being dolled up. However, Des couldn't complain much about the process, enjoying the relaxing massage of oils as some light elves cleaned the grime and dirt away from her skin, allowing her skin to glow brighter than it had in ages.

"All done!" Kat exclaimed clapping her hands.

"May I look?" Des asked, scared to see the clown she knew her reflection to be. Kat nodded helping Des up from the stool she sat on.