Chapter Twenty-Three

The black arts of darkness surrounded them as Urwik called upon them. The whirlwind began to pick up, blowing like typhoon. A hurricane of darkness appeared from nowhere. It began to swallow them whole. Des felt the evil lying within the smoke. It sunk into her skin, causing her head to spin. She felt as though she'd been sucked into pool of darkness. Her oxygen was cut, and she was unable to breathe as she disappeared from where they were.

It happened so fast. Des hit the ground, feeling as though she sunk into ground a couple of feet. She gasped for air. Nauseated from motion sickness, tilted her head to her side and vomited. The experience was not the best. It felt like she was sucked into a dark whole in space. There was nothing but a cage of blackness. The darkness seemed to mock her, picking at the edges of her sanity.

After depositing her guts on the ground. She looked and saw she was on the side of her house. The tree was a couple of feet away, as well as Urwik and his army of screechers. She saw the cynical man and watched his arrogant smile curl upon his lips.

"Not bad," the man mocked. "A little rough around the edges for my taste."

Des scowled. She tried to stand up, but the chains were still wrapped around her. They weighed her down, leaving her a prisoner once again.

Urwik walked up to the tree. Taking each step with a caution. He knew there could be hidden snares of magic planted by the hunters. The man took his last step and touched the ancient bark. He caressed the wooden treasure as his fingers stroked across the mystic and valuable prize. He'd been waiting ages for this moment.

"How incredible," he commented. "I've haven't felt so much magic like this in years."

"And you won't," Des antagonized. "Not if I have anything to do with it." She started crawling toward him, the pressure of force mulling down on her once again.

Urwik laughed. "Silly child. You can't do anything but watch the chaos reign over this world. Bring me the blood of the sacrifice.

A screecher came bounding toward him, carrying a chalice of blood. Des clenched her fists as he splattered the dark liquid on the sacred tree. She began looking around, trying to see if anyone was home.

"Help!" Des screamed at the top of her lungs, hoping to get someone's attention. Surely her Nan or Dad was home waiting for her incased she returned. "Nan! Dad! Griffin! I'm here! Someone sto-" Her voice was cut off. An invisible force seemed to lock her slips closed, stopping her from shouting. She glanced toward Urwik who smiled.

Des was tired of the wicked man and his tricks. All he did was hold power over everyone. And she played right into his hands. She knew that he planned this from the beginning. Her anger, frustration, and rage fooled her. Urwik played her like a fiddle, and she carried out his echoing song. Haunting her and everyone in the world.

Urwik began chanting his spell. Des began pulling at her hands, using all her strength to slip just a single hand free.

A beating pulse of magic started to hum in the night air. Des looked and saw the tree. For years she has walked past it, unable to feel all the magic and energy. Until now.

The dark night started to send a chill of wind, howling for the dark arts. The sting and pain of failure was biting at her.

Then suddenly a dark and slick object flew through the air. The power and speed of it cruised too fast for Urwik to notice it as it impaled itself into the screecher beside him. Des watched as it hissed out in pain before crumpling to the ground.

Urwik growled out in rage as he turned to the direction of the weapon. Des followed his gaze and saw her father crouched on the top of the roof with his hunter bow drawn. Des could barely make out his figure, until he leapt in the air and landing firmly on the ground.