Rebirth

In the wake of my dream, I started up my training again. I had held it off since Dad had said this was a Monster Dead Spot, but with crazy Dirt Lady wanting to sacrifice me to the Earth, I wanted to make sure I could handle anything that she threw at me. Dad had installed a punching bag in my room, and I used it almost every day. I had taken to the woods to continue training with my Scythe, to make sure that I wasn't stiff. I spent my days with Sam and his friends, learning about their Pack and how it functioned. I admit, I withdrew a little from mine and Bella's human friends and Bella, but it was for their protection. Bella, however, invited me out to the movies to relax because she could tell I was wearing myself out. She told me that it would be our friends from school and Jake. The day of, Bella and I arrived at home to see Jake leaning against a car. "No way!" Bella shouted, racing up to the boy right as the truck turned off. "You're done! I can't believe it! You finished the Rabbit!"

"Just last night." Jake said. "This is the maiden voyage."

"Incredible." The two high fived.

"So, do I get to drive it tonight?"

"Definitely." Bella sighed.

"What's up with you?" I asked.

"I'm giving up. I can't top this one, so you win, you're oldest."

"You two were competing about who was older?"

"Based on skills alone." Jake said. "And, of course, I was older." We were distracted by a suburban as it turned onto our street. "I remember this guy. The one who thought you were his girlfriend. Is he still confused?"

"Some people are hard to discourage." Bella told him.

"Then again, sometimes persistence pays off."

"I know a pair of friends who ended up together." I mused. "Granted, he was an idiot and she was the exact opposite, he annoyed the hell out of her but." I shrugged. "You love who you love."

"Hey Bella, hey Aspen." Mike greeted. He then turned to Jake, having to look up to see him.

"Hi, Mike." Bella replied. "Do you remember Jacob Black?"

"Not really."

"Old family friend." The two shook hands with more force than I expected. When they let go, Mike flexed his fingers. The phone rang inside and Bella turned to it.

"I'd better get that." She said. "It might be Charlie." Bella dashed inside. I stood in awkward silence, and decided to ignore the fact that Mike and Jake stepped away from each other. Bella arrived about five minutes later with a sullen look on her face. "Ang is sick." Bella told us as she returned to us.

"I guess the flu is making another round." Mike suggested. "Austin and Conner were out today, too. Maybe we should do this another time."

"I'm still up for it." Jake said. "But, if you'd rather stay behind Mike-"

"No, I'm coming. I was just thinking of Angela and Ben. Let's go." Mike gestured to his car.

"Hey, do you mind if Jacob drives?" Bella asked. "I told him he could, he just finished his car. He built it himself."

"Fine." Mike spat.

"Alright then." Jake's tone made it sound as if he was preening. Mike and I climbed into the back seats of the car. Bella, Jacob and I chatted until about halfway through the ride until Mike lent forward, resting his chin on Bella's seat.

"Doesn't the radio work on this thing?" Mike asked.

"Yes." Jake replied. "But Bella doesn't like music."